Miss Dorsal Miss Dorsal
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Surrey
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 13/2/2015 23:11
Post-op Winston #1
Winston had a tumour removed yesterday. He's taken the whole thing well and seems to be fine today. The problem is dressing his wound. The vet prescribed Orabase to cover the wound, for anyone who doesn't know this is paste that adheres to moist areas. I'm having trouble applying it and it doesn't stay on very long. I recovered the wound this morning, but it's now uncovered again. It's difficult to apply because it doesn't seem to stick too him well, unless I'm doing something wrong. It also means I have to lift him out of the tank and place him in a shallow tub. Which obviously is distressing for him.

Does anyone have any advice on this?

Another issue is the Ceftazidime injection. I don't own a freezer anymore and the Ceftazidime is supposed to be frozen.

Attach file:

jpg  (1,036.15 KB)
16838_54de848d65c1a.jpg 1456X2592 px
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 14/2/2015 9:38
Re: Post-op Winston #2
Wishing Winston a speedy recovery!

Rather than lift him out of the tank, would it be possible to lower the water as much as the filter allows for it to continue functioning, and have him in that level of water for the next while, but additionally use a plastic tank divider temporarily to keep him in one area when dressing his wound?

A couple of suggestions for keeping the injection frozen are:

Buy a freezer box and keep the injection wrapped with frozen items (eg peas) or bags of frozen ice cubes - not sure how long this would last before you'd have to buy more frozen items to keep the freezing effect.

Buy disposable icepacks (eg Koolpak) but, from experience of using them for injuries, they aren't as cold as bags of frozen ice cubes and only last for short periods of time; however, a combination of them and keeping them in a fridge to maximise and lengthen their cooling effect might help.
Miss Dorsal Miss Dorsal
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Surrey
  • Posted on: 14/2/2015 13:25
Re: Post-op Winston #3
Thank you, lowering the water level is a good idea. I got up this morning to find the Orabase had come off again, so it seems it doesn't stay for more than a few hours.
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Moderators Registered Users Advisers FK Supporter Caresheets Image Admin
  • Posted on: 14/2/2015 17:44
Re: Post-op Winston #4
Oh crikey. This is very tricky to do with one pair of hands. It might be easier to get it to stick if you actually had him out of the water and wrapped in damp j cloth for a few moments, depends how you feel about that. Suey may have some ideas.
FX for his recovery.
[url=http://www.bigfishcam
goldfishgeek goldfishgeek
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 16/2/2015 11:26
Re: Post-op Winston #5
Hello,

sorry I don't have any advice re care for Winston, I have a goldfish with a tumour. I just wondered how or where you got a vet to operate? and was it expensive?

I would love for Rabbit to have his removed. It is starting to affect his swimming.

Thank you for any help

GFG
200L = community tank
90L = guppies

154L = goldfish

100G pond = 7 fish!
Miss Dorsal Miss Dorsal
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Surrey
  • Posted on: 16/2/2015 11:42
Re: Post-op Winston #6
Here is a list of vets that handle fish http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/modules/ ... p?topic_id=21261&forum=14

Winston's tumour removal cost £273.89 altogether. I took Winston to CJ Hall in Sheen, London. It is a 45 minute journey from me.
goldfishgeek goldfishgeek
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 16/2/2015 12:00
Re: Post-op Winston #7
Oh WOW!

thank you!

I never thought of looking on here, I have been asking on fb groups for vets or treatments.

thank you so much!

I hope Winston makes a full recovery :) XXXX
200L = community tank
90L = guppies

154L = goldfish

100G pond = 7 fish!