« 1 ... 7 8 9 (10) 11 »
Calypso Calypso
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 19/1/2007 12:16
Re: Orca TL-450 #91
Thanks for the replies,

I have used the filter wool idea, topped up the tank with a little bit more LR and plan to introduce a peppermint shrimp or two as my first inverts.

Has anyone introduced any more stock to the tank? What fish and inverts do you plan to stock the tank with in total? I have heard different stories about how much and what you can and cant keep in this tank, and am beginning to start a list. Any ideas/recommendations?
StoneCold StoneCold
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Midlands
  • Posted on: 19/1/2007 18:34
Re: Orca TL-450 #92
http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/modules/ ... hp?topic_id=7103&forum=16

The above link is a thread to some possible choices of stock, written by The Dragonlord.

I would not have any more than 4 small fish in my tank but will probably settle at 3. I have 3 hermit crabs, 1 peppermint shrimp and 1 cleaner shrimp as well as 2 turbo snails to get to work on my 8kg of live rock. Yesterday I added a small common clown (he's brill) and today my water parameters read the same as they have for my last 3 tests, which I am really pleased about.
Peppermint shrimp would be a great starter as well as hermit crabs, but if you put in hermits put some slightly larger shells than the ones they arrive in and watch with interest, as they grow they change shells! This has already happened with one of mine!!
I plan to start adding some soft corals in a couple of weeks and maybe a couple more snails (they really do good work on the glass algae)As well as a couple more fish.
jontunstall jontunstall
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 22/1/2007 8:25
Re: Orca TL-450 #93
Well after two or three days with the mature BioBalls in the water went perfect!

Left it another couple of days and got two cleaner shrimp who are quite happy in there. I have also got a pair of common clowns on order which should be here this week

I was also advised to put a small pump in the filter area (chamber next to heater) which is working like a treat helping the flow. Its tiny and absolutely silent.

Going to leave it till the clowns are in and see what happens then when they're happily settled possibly a Mandarin.

SH4RKN0S3 SH4RKN0S3
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Wiltshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 22/1/2007 17:46
Re: Orca TL-450 #94
Quote:

jontunstall wrote:
Well after two or three days with the mature BioBalls in the water went perfect!

Left it another couple of days and got two cleaner shrimp who are quite happy in there. I have also got a pair of common clowns on order which should be here this week

I was also advised to put a small pump in the filter area (chamber next to heater) which is working like a treat helping the flow. Its tiny and absolutely silent.

Going to leave it till the clowns are in and see what happens then when they're happily settled possibly a Mandarin.

Sounds like its going well

You might want to avoid the Mandarinfish in a nano though. Nice, peaceful, stunning colours, but very picky feeders. They are generally recommended for tanks with loads of liverock and preferably a refigium to provide them with live copepods etc.
See Link:
http://www.reefcorner.com/SpecimenSheets/mandarinfish.htm
If you drink too much, expect to wake up in the strangest places! Resized Imageimg
TheDragonLord TheDragonLord
  • Pond Adviser
  • Pond  Adviser
  • From West Midlands
  • Group: Registered Users Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 22/1/2007 18:52
Re: Orca TL-450 #95
i'd agree with SH4RKN0S3 on the mandarin thing, unless you get one definately feeding well on frozen foods then the tank wont be able to physical support the fish in terms of copepods
There are no experts, mearly beginners who know more than others.

Support your LFS, online sites won't stay open 5 mins extra for you
StoneCold StoneCold
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Midlands
  • Posted on: 22/1/2007 20:29
Re: Orca TL-450 #96
Have added a feather duster and a couple of corals. My water conditions have remained nice and stable and things are starting to take shape and look good IMO lol. I have added some pics on the photo gallery, comments welcome!! I think this could end up being a very expensive hobby as already I was tempted at the weekend by some guy advertising a 4ft marine tank for £150 in our local free paper!!
jontunstall jontunstall
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 23/1/2007 8:12
Re: Orca TL-450 #97
Looks like I was led down the wrong path by the guy at the LFS on the Mandarin. Will probably go for my original choice and opt for a Goby.
Would truly like a blue starfish but I am worried about the size that they get to.....How long would it be for it to outgrow the nano?? what do you think would a starfish be a viable option??

Current tanks contents
8Kg LR
2 Cleaner shrimp
2 Turbo snails
A pair of common clowns coming later this week, hopefully tomorrow.
Any help appreciated as this is a steep learning curve.
cheers
Jon
Swanny32 Swanny32
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 23/1/2007 9:44
Re: Orca TL-450 #98
John, have you thought about getting a Flame Angel? Lovely looking fish or maybe a sixline Wrasse, spent hours last night trauling through different types of fish compatible with Common Clowns and that will fit in a Nano tank, they seem like two really good options and are beautiful!
flameangel flameangel
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Wiltshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 23/1/2007 22:08
Re: Orca TL-450 #99
Flames would get too big for a nano to be honest. The sixline isn't small either but will be smaller than the flame in my opinion. The sixline is slow growing, as we have had ours for a year and although has grown is not a big fish. The sixline is also very pretty I must admit. Flame is my favourite (hence my avatar on here) but they do grow...have you seen the caresheets on both on this site?
Swanny32 Swanny32
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 24/1/2007 0:20
Re: Orca TL-450 #100
Some websites i have come accross say that the flame angel igrows to the same size as a common clown and common clowns are recommended for nano tanks. Is this correct??