Kochanie Kochanie
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 15/8/2017 19:26
African Clawed Frogs #1
New to keeping these fascinating creatures and I am finding it difficult to get much information on them. I have 3, a 7cms male (randy little sod so no doubt of his sex) and 2 infants, 2cms and 3cms, sex unknown at this point. I know that they will get too big for their current 80 litre tank. What I don't know is how long I've got before I need to invest in a larger one and what size is optimum for them. I have learned (the hard way) that they will eat anything that will fit in their mouths. The surviving minnows have been moved to my second tank. The big one spits out fish flakes and seems to be thriving on tubefex, bloodworm once a week and chopped earth worms. The little ones eat the flakes and tubefex but aren't keen on worms. Is axolotl food suitable for them?
If either of the babies turns out to be female anyone got any ideas on how to spot the eggs before they get eaten?And at what age/size do they start reproduction? The mouth size, I have noticed,is a rough guide to what fish the little sods will eat. They really cram stuff into their mouths. Those arms look spindly but it's amazing how strong they are when it comes to shoving in the grub!I'm still getting used to their talent for floating motionless and apparently dead.
I noticed that the big one developed 3 black claws on his hind feet when he was about 5cms long and lately has been showing blackish pigment on the inside of his forearms. It looks as if he hasn't washed after eating.
The infants are still uniformly pinkish white.
I am besotted with these creatures and I really want to do my best to give them long happy healthy lives but that's tricky when Google fails to yield much information on them.

Attach file:

jpg  (759.15 KB)
20704_59933ce677f8c.jpg 2560X1440 px
Kochanie Kochanie
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Hampshire
  • Posted on: 15/8/2017 19:32
Re: African Clawed Frogs #2
Oh yes. They are in a coldwater tank. Will they need a heater in winter? At the moment the water is temperate but I'm not a fan of excessive central heating so (my visitors tell me)the house is pretty nippy in winter months.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 15/8/2017 22:49
Re: African Clawed Frogs #3
I don't think any of our members keep these, but I found this which may help you. They will need a heater in winter: minimum temperature for them is 20C.
SantaMonica SantaMonica
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From United States
  • Posted on: 24/6/2018 4:58
Re: African Clawed Frogs #4
Well, these are interesting. My freshwater animal knowledge is still weak, and more so for frogs. But who knew... claws.