(1) 2 »
PinkLighter PinkLighter
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 23/8/2004 17:39
Completely Upset #1
Well as of checking my tank today I have been rather disturbed. There is alot of white fuzz in my plants and in the gravel and the tank is cloudier than ever. Ive come down to a few options, some very drastic, one do another water change like a 50% change, and hope for the best. and another one is to put the fish in my bucket and do a complete change, you know drain the entire tank and clean the plants and gravel an put new filter cartriges in. I do have goldfish life and stress zyme and stress coat. so for today im going to leave it alone.
Fishness...its not a thing, its a state of mind...
Pixie Pixie
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Bedfordshire
  • Posted on: 23/8/2004 20:27
Re: Completely Upset #2
Pinklighter, I think water change is a good idea, but I would do 2 partial water changes rather than 1 50% one.
If fish seem ok try not to do the complete change. If you ever have to clean gravel rinse it in the tank water.
What is this staff that you used? Is there a warning on the packet that water may get cloudy till ph stabilises or something?
There must have been some chemical reaction in the tank taking place if you get this white fuzz.
What is your ph at the moment? And the other parameters?
If they are fine, do not worry too much even if the tank looks unsightly, it will get right in the end!
Anonymous  
Re: Completely Upset #3
does sound like a ph problem, have you tested the water,
i would change too much as once, if you do strip it down then keep most of the water, dont wash the gravel, or filter, im not sure what to suggest for the best.
PinkLighter PinkLighter
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • Posted on: 24/8/2004 18:30
Re: Completely Upset #4
all my tests come back normal, the ammo is a tad bit higher than normal, im doing a water change today, %25 ive taken out all my decor and scrubbed them in a bit of tank water to get all the white fuzz off. i havnt put them back in yet. the fish are a lil confused but other than that they seem ok. and the proper ph powder said it would cause some tank cloudiness but it would go away quickly. its been almost 4 days and the tank is still cloudy.
Anonymous  
Re: Completely Upset #5
wonder if what you are feeding is dissolving in the water and causing some sort of residue.
PinkLighter PinkLighter
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • Posted on: 25/8/2004 7:49
Re: Completely Upset #6
i feed them wardley goldfish flakes, wardley shirmp pellets wardly slow sinking goldfish granuels and every now n then wardley tubifex worms, thye only get one thing at a time, like in the morning theyll get a pinch of flakes and then before i got to work around 4:30 theyll get a few shirmp pellets and then before i go to bed they get a pinch of the granuels. they only get the tubifex like 1/2 cube instead of the shrimp pellets
Anonymous  
Re: Completely Upset #7
sounds like you are feeding too much, and you are getting uneaten food decaying in your tank.
Pixie Pixie
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Bedfordshire
  • Posted on: 25/8/2004 12:29
Re: Completely Upset #8
Fishyfeet is right. You should feed goldfish twice a day or even once a day when they get older. How big are your fishes?

Also I noticed you wrote:
Quote:
all my tests come back normal, the ammo is a tad bit higher than normal

What do you actually mean by 'normal' and 'a bit higher'?
Ammonia should always be 0, nitrite less than 0.3mg/l and nitrate below 50, preferably under 25.
If you are overfeeding nitrite may be high.

Maybe you could give us your readings so that we are able to see better what is happening?

How are Paxil and Xanax and what does the tank look like today?

PinkLighter PinkLighter
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • Posted on: 26/8/2004 7:57
Re: Completely Upset #9
yea ok, im getting my test kits back on friday. ill do a retest and let ya guys know the numbers. ive decided to cut back on thier food intake. hopefullythat will help, and they are probably goin on three inches long and quit round (the moors) the cory iz still fairly small yet, prolly about two inches.
jancolls jancolls
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Isle of Lewis
  • Posted on: 3/9/2004 0:29
Re: Completely Upset #10
Just a thought, have you tried carbon in the filter system. Either a carbon sponge, or some loose carbon in some filter wool. I've found that when I've had a cloudy freshwater tank, usually due to me overfeeding, the carbon is wonderful at clearing it very fast. Those gravel cleaners that connect to the airline, are pretty good too, though they can cause a bit of cloudiness themselves, for a while. Again, I usually use both together, clean the gravel, then stick the carbon filter in, to finish it off for a while.

Hope it gets better soon, or you'll have to give them a foghorn