(1) 2 »
Tanker Tanker
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 27/9/2012 18:21
Rescued angel in a bad state ! #1
Hi, I resued a adult angel it has had its top lip torn of and has some fin damage also. It is currently in a QT and has been in my care for 48hrs. I have been offering small amounts of food and up untill this morning refused to eat however did take some bloodworm earlier.

I have now noticed some white bumps which I suspect is white spot but given its weakened state I am unsure how to treat currently I dosed with metalix only and have concerns about treating with methylene blue as from my understanding can be toxic to the filter bacteria.

I have raised the temperature and do have salts which I could also use I would be grateful for any advice or recommendation that could be used to being this angel back to good health. Thanks in advance
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 27/9/2012 19:10
Re: Rescued angel in a bad state ! #2
The first thing is are you sure it's white spot? White spot looks like the fish has been sprinkled with salt.

Secondly, if it IS white spot you would be best using a white spot medication rather than just salt/heat or meth blue (which does impair filter bacteria).

Assuming that ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are under control in the QT I would advise that if you're sure it's white spot you should treat with a combination of eSHa Exit for the white spot and eSHa 2000 for the fin-rot and lip damage as these two meds can be used together safely.

You will need to do a partial water change first to remove the Melafix and I would suggest returning the temp to the normal range for an Angelfish as higher temps reduce the available oxygen in the water. Any medication reduces that further so it's not advisable to increase the temperature at the same time as using medication unless it is specifically directed by the medicine manufacturer.
Tanker Tanker
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Hampshire
  • Posted on: 27/9/2012 19:21
Re: Rescued angel in a bad state ! #3
Ok thanks I reduce the temp and I am not 100% it's white spot as there is a bright white lump and then a few smaller specs. I will hold off treating for white spot but will begin treatment on its upper lip and fin damage using ur suggested method its a shame I can't post pictures from my iPhone to assist in identifying what this white lump is as well as the few white specs :(
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 27/9/2012 19:24
Re: Rescued angel in a bad state ! #4
It doesn't sound like white spot from your description. These images show how that typically looks.
Tanker Tanker
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Hampshire
  • Posted on: 27/9/2012 19:35
Re: Rescued angel in a bad state ! #5
Nope looking at these images it's not that as it is very round and pertrudes from the skin there are some other white little dots but can't be sure if it is part of the angels colouring or more of these lumps in early stages
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 27/9/2012 19:50
Re: Rescued angel in a bad state ! #6
Is there some way you can upload a photo? It's not easy to diagnose without seeing it and wouldn't want to advise on meds with no real idea of what we're trying to treat. I would go ahead with the eSHa 2000 as that is excellent for a lot of the possible causes and will deal with the fin-rot, but leave out the Exit if it's not white spot as there's no point using a med without good cause
Tanker Tanker
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Hampshire
  • Posted on: 27/9/2012 20:07
Re: Rescued angel in a bad state ! #7
Unfortunatly the choose file option is greyed out! I could possibly email you the picture ? But I will begin treatment with esha2000 only untill I find out exactly what it is. I have been googling but so far no joy.
Tanker Tanker
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Hampshire
  • Posted on: 27/9/2012 21:17
Re: Rescued angel in a bad state ! #8
I have found a link that it is identical 2

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=97416
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 27/9/2012 23:17
Re: Rescued angel in a bad state ! #9
There are a couple of possibilities. It could be early stages of hexamita though the location of the spot makes that less likely. If it is that he will have various other symptoms including white, slimy faeces, weight loss, lethargy.

The other possibility (more likely I think)is that he has lymphocystis. That produces small growths like little white warts. It's viral and relatively harmless. There's no real treatment for it and fish that carry the virus often only show symptoms when other problems knock their immunity and it flares up. As he has fin-rot and a wound at the moment that may have triggered a flare up. If his other problems are successfully treated and he is kept in excellent water quality with good food and a quiet time the lymphocystis should recede. The warty growths will probably drop off and may leave scars. Any other fish he is housed with are likely to pick up the virus from him, but may not show symptoms if they are otherwise fit, though they will also become carriers.
Tanker Tanker
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Hampshire
  • Posted on: 27/9/2012 23:24
Re: Rescued angel in a bad state ! #10
Well that's a relief and judging be her injuries I don't actually think its fin rot as it looks like she has been visiously attacked however the concern is now obviously infection leading to fin rot. Should I treat as if it was finrot anyway ?