aimee aimee
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From East Sussex
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 16/7/2012 21:20
Clip on lights. #1
I'm looking for a small clip on light for what will be a planted shrimp tank. Can you guys recommend a good option?
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 16/7/2012 21:48
Re: Clip on lights. #2
If the tank is 'planted', than you need something rather more powerful then plain old LEDS, like the kind you see on cars, under kitchen cupboards etc. Most cheap clip on lights you see in LFS and on the net will not actually support plant growth at all.

TMC Grobeams are good for smaller tanks (under 60 litres) but don't faint now, they come at a price I'm afraid, circa £70, depending where you shop.

http://www.aquacadabra.co.uk/GroBeam-Freshwater-Lighting/

Until proper fishkeeping LEDs become more affordable, tubes are here to stay for now.
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 16/7/2012 22:04
Re: Clip on lights. #3
Have a look at the Arcadia range though (tube based). My Betta tank faired OK with one of these but with only low light plants, anubias etc, might not meet your needs

Let me see if I can find a link. Back in a jiffy.

Edit: here you go, check out the plant pro models You would just need to find a stockist.

http://www.arcadia-uk.info/product.ph ... 4&mid=10&lan=en&sub=&id=4

Double edit: ahhh, we all clashed with the same thoughts over the next few minutes or so. Thanks Dave
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
aimee aimee
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From East Sussex
  • Posted on: 16/7/2012 22:07
Re: Clip on lights. #4
I didn't think a normal light would do it! Thanks for your help, will keep looking for something a cheaper.
DaveGodfrey DaveGodfrey
  • Temperate Adviser
  • Temperate Adviser
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Deep End Advisers
  • Posted on: 16/7/2012 22:07
Re: Clip on lights. #5
How big is the tank? The Arcadia ArcPod and Ellipse are very good, there's 9W, 11W, 18W, and 24W versions. The tank size will determine how big a light you'll need. I've used an 11W on a 30L and a 60L and that was more than adequate for the easier plants (moss, Java Fern, the less demanding stem plants, etc). If you started using a high tech set-up with CO2, and dosing fertilisers you may need the more powerful one. (They are bigger though, so a 24W tube might not fit over a small tank properly).
Loaches, Barbs, Minnows & Shrimp! Oh My!
aimee aimee
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From East Sussex
  • Posted on: 16/7/2012 22:33
Re: Clip on lights. #6
It's 15l, just growing plants in there until I can get a bigger tank before I get the shrimp probably around 30l, just want a few plants with some established growth to put in the new tank.
DaveGodfrey DaveGodfrey
  • Temperate Adviser
  • Temperate Adviser
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Deep End Advisers
  • Posted on: 16/7/2012 23:07
Re: Clip on lights. #7
Either the 9W or the 11W would be fine then. While I bought the 11W, I think I prefer the shape of the 9W ArcPod. Its easier to work around and still illuminate the tank.
Loaches, Barbs, Minnows & Shrimp! Oh My!
Onyxia Onyxia
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From London
  • Group: Advisers Deep End Registered Users
  • Posted on: 16/7/2012 23:35
Re: Clip on lights. #8
This may sound crazy but you can buy a nice ikea clip on desk lamp and a 13w full spectrum spiral bulb.

I have:

linky

and

linky

Both work perfectly with the rather pricey full spectrum bulbs off ebay. The first one is particularly good because you can move it closer and further away from the tank to get exactly the light level you need. You can use any desk light as long as it will take the bulb and you can position it right.