scatty scatty
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Oxfordshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 4/7/2012 18:32
Betta's and melafix! #1
Hi guys just a quick question is it safe to use melafix on betta's and paradise fish?
Only reason i ask as i was chatting to someone today and they told me that it can damage there labarinth organ.
Thanks lisa
The day you stop caring is the day you should stop keeping any pet whether fur or fins!
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 4/7/2012 19:26
Re: Betta's and melafix! #2
This is so far purely anecdotal and there is no scientific evidence for any such effect.

Anna Robinson, from Mars Fishcare, posted this in response to a previous question about this:

Quote:

Hi Folks

I post on this site for Mars Fishcare, who make Melafix. Psymon has PM-ed me about this issue and I've answered him. I won't post more here unless he wishes me to. The only thing I must say, for clarity, is that there is no warning on the bottle re pencilfishes or Bettas because tests have shown no evidence that this product causes problems with these species.

I have personally used Melafix to treat Honey Gouramis who are also labyrinth fish in the past and had no issues, but if you're worried you could use a different treatment. If you're looking for a good anti-bacterial which is very safe, try eSHa 2000, but that said, Melafix ought to be fine.
scatty scatty
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Oxfordshire
  • Posted on: 4/7/2012 19:37
Re: Betta's and melafix! #3
Thanks for clearing that up fishlady good to know these things just in case.
I always keep a bottle of myxazin, esha exit and 2000 in my fishy first aid kit just in case as you never know what they may throw at you so best to be prepared
The day you stop caring is the day you should stop keeping any pet whether fur or fins!
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 4/7/2012 19:47
Re: Betta's and melafix! #4
Likewise - I think I keep more fishy first aid items in the house than human ones
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 4/7/2012 22:03
Re: Betta's and melafix! #5
As FL said, this is just a fish keeping myth that keeps doing the rounds

Seems someone lost an ill Betta after treatment and blamed the treatment, when actually the fish was simply too far gone to rescue. Seems to have snow balled from there.

I've used Melafix with a Betta and he was fine. As the labyrinth organ takes in air from the surface it is not affected by anything in the water.
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
scatty scatty
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Oxfordshire
  • Posted on: 5/7/2012 6:33
Re: Betta's and melafix! #6
Thank you ladies i knew i'd get a right answer on here.
Have to say i do prefer melafix as i love the smell of it. Thanks again Lisa