nejjy nejjy
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Lancashire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 19/8/2009 13:25
Tetras #1
Hi All,

This is my second time posting ont he site. I have one male siamese fighting fish (mikey) and neon tetras.

I was given bad advice from the store I bought the fish and tank from (I will not be going back) which is in my previous post and did not cycle my tank for long enough.

I bought 6 neon tetras at first which lasted 1 week then one died leaving 5 we decided that they may need more in order to schol so we bought 5 more. They one by one started dying. until we hard the 5 original ones left. Last weekend we cought Mikey (the Betta) with one of the tetras in his mouth we managed to get him to let go, however the damage was done and he died. Mikey normally chases them about but is usually too slow for them but not this time.

There are therefore only 4 neon tetras left they are very strong and have been growing, however since the last one died they have seemed depressed. Is this because there is only four of them? They do not tend to schol anymore.

I have been wondering whether to get anymore as i do not want to keep introducing the fish when they are just going to die it isn't fair. Please advise.

Thanks

Jenny
Fizz Fizz
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter Deep End
  • Posted on: 19/8/2009 13:58
Re: Tetras #2
Hi Jenny

As you mentioned, tetras prefer to be in groups of 6+ and any less than that and they will try and hide away individually or in ones or twos.

It must be quite stressful for them being in a 23 litre tank with a bigger fish who chases them about! And if Mikey did catch one then he is posing a threat to their well-being.

You might want to consider taking the neon tetras back to the fish shop and asking for them to be re-homed, rather than run the risk of losing anymore. As you say, there is nothing more heart-breaking than losing fish and I personally think adding anymore may cause further losses.

That way Mikey gets a bit more space, and you really don't have to worry about the tetras. Just a thought.

Hope this helps.
Sarah
TetraLinz TetraLinz
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 19/8/2009 14:00
Re: Tetras #3
The tetras will probably be missing their shoal. They really do need more than 6 members to feel secure.

Shoaling fish only school (ie, swim as one), when they feel threatened and vulnerable, so the fact they're not schooling together is probably a good thing. However, if the betta is eating the tetras, I strongly suggest you seperate them permanently before increasing the shoal size.
T.L
Resized Image
nejjy nejjy
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Lancashire
  • Posted on: 19/8/2009 14:37
Re: Tetras #4
Thanks Fizzi and Tetralinz.

I knew I was right not to get anymore! I am definately not taking them back to the pet shop as I do not trust them with my tetras (never getting any fish from them again). I may know a good home for them though!! Although these are very strong fish and have growm quite a lot in the short time I have had them. The tetra that Mikey got hold of was the smallest runt of the group, and I think the others are too big for him to get hold of now!

I'm just making excuses now cause I don't want to give them up.

:(

Jenny
TetraLinz TetraLinz
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Posted on: 19/8/2009 14:57
Re: Tetras #5
Even if the remaining tetras are too big to fit into the betta's mouth, I'd still seperate them.
T.L
Resized Image
Fizz Fizz
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Posted on: 19/8/2009 17:07
Re: Tetras #6
I suppose your only other option would be to get another tank as I don't think you'll have enough space in your current one for a tank divider.

If you've found a good home for them then so much the better - I understand why you wouldn't want to return them to the shop. My biggest fear would be that they would be sold to someone without a clue and would die as a consequence.

But Tetralinz is right - they really ought to be moved somewhere away from Mikey.

Good luck with it all,

Sarah
conniefish conniefish
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Lancashire
  • Posted on: 20/8/2009 9:27
Re: Tetras #7
Slightly ironic - when I first asked about putting a Betta in with tetras I was told it wouldn't work because the tetras would nip the betta's fins.

I know there is a lot of experienced people on here, but in my very humble experience for every rule there are exceptions and the best advice I've been given is to see what works for yourself. Clearly you have a proplem that doesn't work and perhaps you need to choose between the two species you have, but swapping the betta may change the parameters too - they're living creatures with their own personalities and it would be wrong to generalise with total conviction the way some do.
Jaybird_91 Jaybird_91
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Northamptonshire
  • Posted on: 20/8/2009 9:37
Re: Tetras #8
The reason why people generalise about fish behaviour on here is that the vast majority of whatever species they are talking about display that behaviour. I got a dwarf puffer who was absolutely fine for 6 months and then all of a sudden he killed one of my danios, I was told it may happen and yet I used your advice of seeing what works. But as you said these are living creatures so it was extemely stupid of me putting in a DP when there was even a small chance of it killing on of my fish. If they are incompatable, dont do it saves alot of hassle.

Edit: And nejjy where did you get your name from?
I want a bigger tank!
Fizz Fizz
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Posted on: 20/8/2009 10:50
Re: Tetras #9
Quote:

conniefish wrote:
they're living creatures with their own personalities and it would be wrong to generalise with total conviction the way some do.

Yes, they are living creatures with their own personalities, but as far as I'm concerned, if one fish is catching and hurting other fish then I am happy to "generalise with total conviction" that the situation is not a good one and the fish need to be separated. Certainly if they were in my tank this is what I would do.

It is of course up to the individual fish-keeper to go with their conscience and make the best decision given their own circumstances.
TetraLinz TetraLinz
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Posted on: 20/8/2009 17:40
Re: Tetras #10
Quote:

conniefish wrote:
I know there is a lot of experienced people on here, but in my very humble experience for every rule there are exceptions and the best advice I've been given is to see what works for yourself. Clearly you have a proplem that doesn't work and perhaps you need to choose between the two species you have, but swapping the betta may change the parameters too - they're living creatures with their own personalities and it would be wrong to generalise with total conviction the way some do.

Betta and tetra relationships can go either way. Tetras can fin nip bettas' fins, but, as this case has proven, bettas can also attack and kill other fish too. I don't think anyone will categorically declare that betta/tetra aggression is always one-sided. There have been cases where both fish have lived side-by-side quite happily, too, but it would be highly irresponsible of us to just suggest that anyone put any fish together just to see "what works for them", without first pre-warning them of possible outcomes.

If the OP were to swap the betta for a less aggressive one, the tetras may well decide to turn on that betta, and the unfortunate victim could become definned!!

I suspect many of us on here have (or have had) fish that break the norm - as you state, connie, they're all individuals, but some generalisations can be made - HAVE to be made, in fact.

For example, if we were to start using the "what works for the individual" rule, we'd have to stop advising people to keep the fish that naturally thrive in their water params because "fish can adapt to different pH/temperature ranges". This will most likely result in SOME keepers having LIMITED success with keeping tetras in harder water, or livebearers in acidic conditions - but WOULD they reach their natural longevity? This is, IMHO, a backward step in fishkeeping advice.

Then perhaps we should start suggesting that Angels be kept with Neons in a 55gal tank, because suggesting a keeper keeps them seperate is a generalisation and we should promote "what works for the individual". We'd have a HUGE increase in the number of posters asking why their neons have vanished overnight! How do you think any of us (not to mention the keeper) would feel if we then had to tell them that we knew all along that angels and neons share a natural predator/prey relationship, but instead of promoting "what's best for the fish", we promote "what works for the keeper".

Sorry, but I for one prefer to use the "what's best for the fish" method - even if it means a little "generalisation".

My apologies to the OP that this thread has gone slightly off-topic, but I still recommend the betta and tetras be seperated.
T.L
Resized Image