xjudge xjudge
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Buckinghamshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 14/5/2009 12:20
kidnapped shell #1
Hi =] I woke up this morning to find one of my turbo snails without a shell, He is not hurt and seems fine, I have reason to belive one of my two red-legged hermits stole his shell, i have no idea why they would do this as i have provided them with plenty of shells to move into, My question is what shall i do with the snail?
EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 14/5/2009 13:06
Re: kidnapped shell #2

That's a new one, as far as I knew snails are physically bound to the shell and can not survive without it any more than you could survive without your skull.
Any photos?
I don't think there is anything you can do.
xjudge xjudge
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Buckinghamshire
  • Posted on: 14/5/2009 21:24
Re: kidnapped shell #3
Thanks eagle c for the reply, its a shame i cant do nothing to help him poor thing =[ i will try to get a picture but he has gone into hiding in the rocks =] I think he might be ok as long as the fish or anything dont try to nibble him
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Advisers Registered Users
  • Posted on: 15/5/2009 0:04
Re: kidnapped shell #4
i am 100% certain he is not ok if he is outside his shell im afraid.. i would imagine the body has been eaten or the current has moved it into the rocks where it will be eaten, snail bodies dont last long when dead. snails are prone to be taken out of their shells by hermit crabs. unfortunately to be expected whe thet are kept together.
Gill

Resized Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...
xjudge xjudge
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Buckinghamshire
  • Posted on: 15/5/2009 11:08
Re: kidnapped shell #5
I think you are right coraline, he has dissapeared, Normally i see all the snails but i cant see him today, also found out i have a black and white star fish last nite do u know what species this is?