seanmckinney seanmckinney
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From County Antrim
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 9/6/2004 9:29
Re think of mounting the electric heron fence #1
I ordered this yesterday, ouch!, and I am hoping I can get away with 1 power unit to cover three ponds, the other two are not the concern of this thread.
Some pictures first to help explain things.
photos 1 & 2, an area of the pond as it was before I added the trial plant bay
Resized Image
&
Resized Image

photo 3, the wall of the plant bay cast on top of the original shoreline
Resized Image

photo 4, the just planted plant bay
Resized Image

photo 5, showing the crazy paving level with the pond
Resized Image

photo 6, showing the above ground sides of the pond
Resized Image

photo 7, showing how the shoaling green cement shoreline was cast and why it thins towards the outside
Resized Image

Ok down to buisness. The fence will consist of a series of 2' high glass-fibre-pole uprights with 'wire' strung between them. I think I will have 'wire' run around the pond at three heights, the first being 6" to 9" above the water and the other two at 6 and 12 inches above the first. I hope this will allow garden birds to bathe etc without getting shocked.
I will be casting more of those plant bays around the pond's shoreline and I was thinking that I could cast the fence's uprights into the pondward wall of these plant bays. However I have realised that doing this is likely to allow the marginal plants to come into contact with the lowest strand of wire. This may destroy the plant concerned and it will discharge the fence's battery power source. So I am going to 'move' the fenceline to the outer edge of the pond.
With regard to the 'above ground' side of the pond I see 3 options
1) I can cast green dyed cement bumps on the outer edge of the green cement shoreline and mount the uprights in these bumps, or
2) cast yellow dyed cement bumps onto the face of the wall, almost like turrets built on the side of a cartoon castle, and mount the uprights in these bumps, or
3) stick some sort of tubes to the outer face of the wall with the uprights slotting into these tubes.
I CANNOT drill into the top 6" of the face of the wall as there is a risk puncturing the liner.

I favour 1 or 2 and 2 more than 1 because the green shoreline cement thins as you approach the outer edge of the pond and I have concerns, probably unfounded, about the cement of the shoreline breaking if leverage was applied via an upright.
If you think I should go with 3 what glue do you suggest? Do you see any oyher options? There would be no use in drilling into the crazy paving at the foot of the wall as the uprights are not tall enough to then provide adequate protection to the pond.

With regard to the 'level with the crazy paving' side of the pond I think my options are
1) drill into the crazy paving, or
2) the same as option 1 for the above ground side of the pond with the same concerns.

Your thoughts please.
Anonymous  
Re: Re think of mounting the electric heron fence #2
Brill sean, im not expert on ponds, dont have one unfortunately, but i love the small one with the little wall round, I hope this project is safe, and you are not going to get any shocks. Will it harm the Heron. Mind you his has not got your fishes feelings at heart, only a free lunch. Good luck, I love ready your new projects. di
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From County Antrim
  • Posted on: 9/6/2004 10:13
Re: Re think of mounting the electric heron fence #3
It shouldnt harm the Heron, hopefully, just stimulate him to look elsewhere.
Fishadmin Fishadmin
  • Webmaster
  • Webmaster
  • From Spain
  • Group: Webmasters Registered Users LFS Caresheets Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 9/6/2004 12:45
Re: Re think of mounting the electric heron fence #4
Hi,

Here's some other heron scaring stuff - in the US but might be available over here...

http://www.puddleandpond.com/pests/ near the bottom..

and http://www.pondrx.com/shop/details.ph ... d=46&parentId=29&catId=29

I think herons are attracted by pond shapes? So maybe something could be done there.

Fishadmin
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From County Antrim
  • Posted on: 9/6/2004 14:57
Re: Re think of mounting the electric heron fence #5
Admin thanks I know about the scarecrow and they are on sale near here and from the company suppling the fence, Drivall. Unfortunately I dont have permanent tap water supply to the pond and the only sensible place for it to go would render me a target before I could switch it off, I also suspect it might be hard to get the sensitvity correct as among the 'garden birds' are collared doves. pity really because its a fair bit cheper than the fence.