|Fish Blogs - Entries for Joanne
|Syndicate Joanne's entries|
Author: Joanne (11:12 am)
I know I haven't posted in quite some time, so I'm sorry for this being a sad return.
I woke this morning to find George belly up between the filter and heater. I'm a little bit heart broken.
I tried for half an hour to revive her, moving her right side up around the tank hoping water through the gills would do something, gently tapping the underside of her tummy while I did so. Nothing happened. She's gone.
I just want to thank everyone who replied to my posts when I first aquired George and helped me get on my feet with her care. Without you she wouldn't have had a better past four years than her entire sixteen put together.
Even now there's little thread veins in her tail where she was still trying to repair from all the past years of damage, so losing her while she was still trying to grow, it's just made me start crying again.
My sister confirms she was ten years old when George came to the family, making George two months short of seventeen
She weighed 275g and measured 13.5 inches tail to mouth. A far cry from the weak yellow tiddler I took in four years ago.
George, you little champion of resilience and hope. You will be missed.
I've never wanted fish to have eyelids more than I do now so they could close.
windows print screen
Author: Joanne (1:06 am)
So, yesterday I did two 50% changes, one at 11.30am and the next at 3pm - I'll space these out a bit better today. Both sets of results showed the same outcome: Nitrates and nitrites still at 0, Ammonia at 0.25 and ph 6.6. The ammonia and ph remained the same from the previous day's test at 7.20pm. Odd.
I was advised that the tap water quality or the substrate could be partially responsible for the ph shift (I'm still getting the hang of all the terms, so if I guff this up, bear with me). Previously I had siphoned out the water when changing then added the 50% replacement and then added the aquasafe afterwards - not removing the filter whilst doing the change thinking leaving it in could be beneficial. However, after pondering on it for a while I thought maybe doing 50% changes with tapwater might possibly damage any trace of good bacteria in the filter before the aquasafe is added. So I took the filter out when changing the water yesterday and will continue to do this for a few days to see if that makes a change.
I also decided it'd be more beneficial to add the aquasafe to the new water before adding to the tank, again, to avoid any tap nasties affecting the good bacteria in the filter. Fingers crossed this helps.
I think I'm seeing growth on the plants in the tank too. I've been taking a lot of time to inspect and study what's going on, peacefully observing George and he's starting to get used to me now The plant has a little blob or two attached to it. First of all I was ready for ripping it out just in case it was snail eggs maturing - super worried about snails creeping in from shop bought plants. After poking and looking some more I think it is just plant growth, pretty cool!
I've been willing the marimo to reproduce, I'm pretty taken by this interesting little plant. It has a bit of a lump poking out at one side and looking around online suggests it might be splitting for reproduction. It could also just be my keen imagination, mind you. Either way I ordered two more 4-5cm marimo online which should be here by Tuesday.
Other things I ordered were Tetra 6 in 1 testing strips to assess the water hardness so I can take more action to help the tank cycle correctly as well as a bottle of seachem prime.
George looks a happy boy, I'm seeing colour in the top half of his tail where there was none before. Previously there was a large white patch brought on by ammonia burn and/or fin rot, but now the patch is split with a small flash of orange running down into a badly damaged spine. The bottom half of the tail seems to be gaining some colour too. By no means is it a 'need to put my sunglasses on it's so bright' affair, but any little sign that he's getting better is giving me more reason to smile.
Author: Joanne (4:33 pm)
Just posting an opening blog page to say hi, I'll use this blog to track the progress I'm making with George - my adopted ten year old single tail comet (well, that's what I think he is).
George lived in a bowl for ten years before I took him in last week. Now I'm learning from scratch about his needs and upkeep and now looking forward to providing him with a better life. As he was in a bowl for so long I think he's probably stunted growth wise although I think he's about six inches from nose to tail. Speaking of tail, he seems to have ammonia burn and little marks on his other fins which I worry may have been breaks which are now mended.
He's in good hands now.
See y'all around.
Joanne (and George)