(1) 2 »
Anonymous  
fluval external filters, question and answers, #1
There has been so much interest and many questions regarding fluval external filter, many repeated, so I though it may be benefical to have a running post of this subject, as i have two of them, I will endeavour to answer any questions of this piece of equipment.

To start with here is a pic of the filter,

Resized Image

I have too 304's one one each tank, although the smaller tank is 112 litres, i have no problems with the larger filter, the other tank is 216 litres.

Hagen Fluval External Canister Filters (104, 204, 304, 404)

The Fluval MSF (Multi-Stage Filter) combines innovation and convenience with a high level of performance. Multiple internal filtration modules allow the use of a variety of different filter media to provide optimal water quality. Always one step ahead of the competition the following up-dates have been incorporated:

New More Powerful Motors

Superior flow rates and stronger pumping through improved head height capacity with increases of 15 to 25%. These motors will deliver higher flow rates over a longer period of time.

New Aqua Stop:

Barrel valves have been incorporated to eliminate maintenance of the Aqua Stop. The new second lever allows for flow adjustment, permitting the use of larger models on smaller aquariums or convenient flow reduction during feeding.

Self Priming System:

A check ball is used in the newly re-designed larger strainer for quicker filter priming.
Co-Molded Impeller Cover: A silicon rubber insulation is used to dampen vibration and prolong impeller life and performance.

Performance Features:
Modular Design: Easy and Quick Maintenance

Multiple Filter Media Baskets with Partitions: Allows the use of most filter media

Twin Mechanical Foam Filter Screens: Efficiently trap waste and debris for cleaner water and better performance from all filter media

Aqua Stop: Quick and convenient connection/disconnection of filter hosing

Ribbed Opaque Hosing: Bends and turns easily without kinking, making installation and removal easier while supporting better water flow

Self Priming: Quick and easy to start

Manufacturer Warranty: Full 3-year warranty from date of purchase.

1 Model
2 Aquarium Capacity
3 Pump Output
4 BiologicalVolume
5 Filtration
6 Volume
7 Max Head

1 2 3 4 5 6
104 25gal 125gph 0.36gal 0.85gal 4.4ft
204 40gal 180gph 0.53gal 1.22gal 4.4ft
304 70gal 260gph 0.82gal 1.74gal 5.2ft
404 100gal 340gph 1.11gal 2.25gal 6.7ft

Anonymous  
Re: fluval external filters, question and answers, #2
STEVES POST COPIED FROM BELATED BIRTHDAY THREAD.

Ello Jetsetter Di!!!

I think im going for a fluval external my tank is just over 100L would you go for the 104 of 204?

And can you vary the flow rate on them?

Steve

Anonymous  
Re: fluval external filters, question and answers, #3
In answer to your question steve, I would go for the 204 and no not in the basic kit you get you cannot alter the flow, having said that the flow is quite gentle even on the 304's that i have, because the outlet is wide mouthed

see pic

Resized Image

Anonymous  
Re: fluval external filters, question and answers, #4
Where this used to attach on the hose pipe from the filter back into the tank (after the water has been through the filter) you attach this diffuser, it has a valve that you can adjust and varies the rate.

Resized Image
Anonymous  
Re: fluval external filters, question and answers, #5
here is a pic of the diffuser whilst its switched off maybe easier to see it, without bubbles,
Ive just noticed that cheeky endler getting in on the shot. di

Resized Image
Anonymous  
Re: fluval external filters, question and answers, #6
A pic with the filter running, you can see the water flow gushing through the diffuser causing a nice current and oxygenating the water.

Resized Image
Anonymous  
Re: fluval external filters, question and answers, #7
Ive got an diffuser in each tank now, started off with just one on the big tank and was so impressed i got another last friday, if you just wanted gentle waves then just leave the normal outlet in the first pics, however, the diffuser saves having an airstone and the pump running, def worth the added expense in my honest opinion. di
Hero69 Hero69
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Midlands
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 13/2/2005 13:35
Re: fluval external filters, question and answers, #8
Thanks Di,

How big are the filter baskets? can you add whatever you like to it?

Steve
Anonymous  
Re: fluval external filters, question and answers, #9
the filter baskets are quite big, and yes you can add, say rena filter media, or shops own brand, ive got some bio max ( thats like ceramic rings you get with the filter) in the bottom two baskets, some elimi phos (which replaces the carbon you get with the filter) and some eheim substrate in the middle basket and the top two baskets have one bio max and on eheim substate, but you can add all sorts of thing like peat for instance for soft water and coral gravel for hard water, di
Hero69 Hero69
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Midlands
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 13/2/2005 16:25
Re: fluval external filters, question and answers, #10
Thanks Di,

Your should be a sales person! you have sold the idea to me im going to buy a fluval 204!

Steve