(1) 2 »
DazWood DazWood
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Cleveland
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 4/6/2007 8:58
Big Red Worm? #1
I woke up the other morning and found this big red worm at the front of my tank. its the first time i've seen this fella. is he good or bad? anyone know what type of worm it is?
thanks
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a293/Dazney/DSC00479.jpg
Original Image
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Advisers Registered Users
  • Posted on: 4/6/2007 9:25
Re: Big Red Worm? #2
cant see the pic, but its probably a bristle worm, which are fine! helpful scavengers.!
Gill

Original Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...
DazWood DazWood
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Cleveland
  • Posted on: 4/6/2007 9:41
Re: Big Red Worm? #3
its about an inch long, quite fat, red body and white ''fluff'' on the top. ohwell, cool. thanks
Original Image
cmw328i cmw328i
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Bedfordshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 5/6/2007 8:20
Re: Big Red Worm? #4
definitely a bristle worm. Alot of people think they're a menace to have, but there seems to be a growing trend of people who are happy to have them. I have a monster of one in my orca nano, like 4-5 inches. I only saw him once but he hasnt eaten any of my fish or bothered my corals so i'll just leave it for now
DazWood DazWood
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Cleveland
  • Posted on: 5/6/2007 21:56
Re: Big Red Worm? #5
This is the first time i've seen him in the 10 month i've had my tank and he hasn't harmed any of my fish or corals so i think i'll leave him too .
Thanks everyone
Original Image
Leggy Leggy
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Surrey
  • Posted on: 19/6/2007 22:15
Re: Big Red Worm? #6
Bristle worms can soon go out of control in a nano tank, but if numbers are kept in check can be useful. Try filling up a a small piece of a womens stocking/tights with a piece of bait (cockle, mussle, shrimp) with a small piece of rock to weigh it down. Tie up the ends to form a bundle and go bristle worm catching. Leave the bundle in tank at night for about 20min, then pull up the string to see how many you caught. The bristle worms bristles will get caught on the tights so will be easily removed. If you catch over 10 in an hr you may have a problem. All you will need to do is repeat the same method several times a week till the numbers you catch are very low.
Remember not to remove these worms with your fingers as they will sting you and may cause a rash...many ppl picking up live rock filled with bristle worms will know the pain it can cause.
cmw328i cmw328i
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Bedfordshire
  • Posted on: 20/6/2007 5:50
Re: Big Red Worm? #7
thats why i always pick up LR by the corners and touch as little of it as I can :)
skymonkey skymonkey
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Suffolk
  • Posted on: 20/6/2007 8:42
Re: Big Red Worm? #8
I like bristle worms and have never had a problem with them. They are shy and tend to be seen early in the morning the most, as they are detritivores most people think they do alot of harm but its my beleif that when things are going badly in a tank and things are dying you tend to see them taking advantage and cleaning up. When people blame the worms they dont always look to see if there is another problem and other stuff can die.
Leggy Leggy
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Surrey
  • Posted on: 20/6/2007 15:17
Re: Big Red Worm? #9
Can't agree with you more - being plagued with bristle worms is a indication that something is wrong with your aquarium.
cmw328i cmw328i
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Bedfordshire
  • Posted on: 20/6/2007 16:28
Re: Big Red Worm? #10
a few are good... lots means a problem, usually overfeeding from what i've read. I dont even know if my big long one is still alive or not. I havent seen it since the day i first spotted it, and now I have a yellow wrasse thats supposed to eat them so it may be long gone.