simonnathan simonnathan
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Lincolnshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 2/6/2007 23:21
Small flat purple crab?? #1
Any ideas?

Received my batch of live rock on Friday and noticed a small purple-coloured crab hidden away. The rock's been in the tank for a day and a half and he's just started to explore. Saw him feed a few minutes ago - appears to have just one large claw and it's hairy(!) I guess his body is no more than half an inch long at the moment but what on earth is it?

Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Advisers Registered Users
  • Posted on: 17/6/2007 2:58
Re: Small flat purple crab?? #2
would remove it at your next opportunity, crablets are generally not a good thing in reef tanks, so id get it out now and find out what it is, beofre it does any damage.. just incase.
Gill

Resized Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...
flameangel flameangel
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Wiltshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 17/6/2007 21:55
Re: Small flat purple crab?? #3
to me crabs are a nightmare to identify unless you get a real clear picture of them? I have a few odd balls in my nano but can I get close enoguh to ID one. I am gestimating at the moment as to what they are. I would remove mine too if they get any bigger. Yes you have been advised right - crabs are little wotsits!! best to remove them at some point.