neonf1 neonf1
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Middlesex
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 5/5/2007 4:18
!!!!!! Need Your Help !!!!!!! #1
Hi Guys....I'm a newbie to looking after fish I have two questions I've just bought a Fluval Uno 600 Tank (set up for cold water fish) and it comes with the Fluval 2 Plus Underwater Filter! Now am I meant to place the black carbon filter in between the two white filters?
this is a 63 litre tank so how many fish can I have in it?

Hope you can help all the best Neon.
Fishy-Fishy Fishy-Fishy
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Moderators Advisers FK Supporter Deep End
  • Posted on: 5/5/2007 9:56
Re: !!!!!! Need Your Help !!!!!!! #2
Hi Neon, welcome to FK

You can replace the carbon if you want or you can just throw it out. I don't bother with carbon in my filters unless I am removing medication because it gets pretty expensive replacing carbon all the time! If you do water testing and keep up a good maintenance schedule then you should never really need carbon.

You tank isn't really big enough for goldfish but there are loads of other options.

One fish that is really popular is the white cloud mountain minnow. They are small, pretty and easy to look after. Have a look at this page- http://www.aquatic-hobbyist.com/profi ... cyprinids/whitecloud.html You could have about 12 of those in your tank if you had no other fish.

If the room that your aquarium is in is warm then there are more fish you can have. How about a shoal of zebra danios? You could have 6-8 in there, they are really nice fish. http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/modules/ ... esheet.php?caresheetID=20

Or you could mix a couple of different kinds of fish ie 6 white cloud mountain minnows and 6 peppered corydoras- http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/modules/ ... /article.php?articleid=49 The peppered one is the second one in the photos at the bottom.

Alternatively you could put a heater in and then you could keep all kinds of tropical fish, that would give you a lot more choice if you don't fancy any of the others I mentioned.

We highly recommend that you fishlessly cycle your tank before adding any fish at all. This page will explain how to do it- http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/modules/ ... php?topic_id=559&forum=14
If any of it doesn't make sense, just ask!

neonf1 neonf1
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Middlesex
  • Posted on: 8/5/2007 3:24
Re: !!!!!! Need Your Help !!!!!!! #3
WOW.....Thanks for yor help Fishy-Fishy I'm glad I asked the question. The man in the aquatic shop failed to mention about cycling the water in the tank. All he told me about was to make sure I dechlorinate the water, then come back for the fish and then in about three weeks to come back with a water sample.
I knew that something wasn't quite right when they said I could keep up to six goldfish in my tank. Even I know that fish grow.
We have the tank postion in the front room so I think that we will most likely go with the option of 6 white cloud mountain minnows and 6 peppered corydoras But knowing my Son he is going want goldfish.

Thanks for help I see I have got a lot to learn.
EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 8/5/2007 8:14
Re: !!!!!! Need Your Help !!!!!!! #4
Not to dispute what Fishy-Fishy has advised or to confuse the matter but the fk caresheet for peppered cories lists them as tropical fish with a minimum water temperature of 18C. Make sure the water in your coldwater tank is suitably warm for them.
Fishy-Fishy Fishy-Fishy
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Moderators Advisers FK Supporter Deep End
  • Posted on: 8/5/2007 8:31
Re: !!!!!! Need Your Help !!!!!!! #5
Yeah they are tropical technically (as are zebra danios) but they are from a slightly cooler part of the tropics so they can tolerate unheated water *IF* the room is kept warm. I would recommend getting one of those thermometers that beeps when the temperature is too low (there is one called Aquaminder for about a fiver)

Also, do not add all the fish at once because it will cause an ammonia spike even if you have cycled the tank first because there won't be enough bacteria to cope with the sudden increase in livestock. Add the WCMM first and then wait a couple of months to see if the filter can cope with corys as well. Actually I would go for 5 of each and not 6 just to be on the safe side. You can always add more at a later date.

Don't forget to quarantine new fish before adding them to your existing set up, people have lost all their fish before through new livestock carrying diseases.
neonf1 neonf1
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Middlesex
  • Posted on: 10/5/2007 0:19
Re: !!!!!! Need Your Help !!!!!!! #6
Great Thanks I've order the Aquaminder and a Water test kit off Ebay I should have them in a few of days thanks for help. Neon.
steverts steverts
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 22/7 11:06
Fish, just hiding #7
Hi, new here and perplexed.

I have created an outdoor pond, which after a month I have stocked with aquatic plants etc, and all looks very nice, clean water etc. I have a solar powered fountains and also two airstone units. A week ago I bought 5 red comets, lovely looking each is about 1-1/2 inches. On introduction they we shooting all round the place exploring for the rest of the day.

However, since then they have just sheltered under two gnarled pieces of driftwood or under some floating plant baskets. Hardly ever displaying any activity at all.

Do wanted fountains spook or annoy fish

Any views, as I am obsessing over this. The pond is 5 x 6 x 1 about 180 gallons btw.

Thanks
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 22/7 16:28
Re: Fish, just hiding #8
The more natural behaviour of goldfish kept in outdoor ponds (as they should be) is sheltering from potential predators under driftwood and plants, whereas the dashing around and exploring was probably a temporary status on their first day as they established an internal hierarchy and explored their new surroundings - but will recur when there's chasing/mating going on which can be quite vigorous and any females will need/want somewhere to seek sanctuary and respite.

Additionally, It might be that: a bird or other predator has spooked them; they haven't got used to the fountains yet (you could always test out this theory by turning them off temporarily); and/or they haven't yet got accustomed to your presence (if you're watching them from outdoors as opposed to from through a window) - sitting motionless by the pond for a while may get them used to your presence.

Hope that helps but I don't have direct pond experience, and so hopefully someone with such may be able to elaborate or provide further suggestions or advice.
steverts steverts
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 22/7 23:43
Re: !!!!!! Need Your Help !!!!!!! #9
thankyou for that comment , as yes indeed of today i left the fountian off
Does seem a trial and error task here
Also noted that a lot of birds are, only this week, coming for a sip of water.
As of this evening they are lolling under weeds, and logs,
Possibly me needs to relax more.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 23/7 11:33
Re: !!!!!! Need Your Help !!!!!!! #10
Does the pond have a filter and is it cycled? If not there may be ammonia and/or nitrite in the water which will be affecting the fish. Also note that at only 1ft deep the pond is not adequate over a British winter and my freeze badly, killing your fish.