bobbybubble bobbybubble
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 6/5/2004 20:14
Hexegan Tank #1
My girlfriend has bought a small hexegan tank which consists of an undergravel filtewr with uplift tube.

She has two goldfish which have lived happily for a couple of months. She has stripped the tank down twice in that period, cleaned the gravel and the underwater filter.

I have recommended that she not do this as the "friendly" bacteria in the filter will be killed.

Is she ok doing this?

Bobbybubble
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Image Admin Caresheets Moderators Advisers
  • Posted on: 6/5/2004 20:18
Re: Hexegan Tank #2
Not really, as you mentioned it will kill off the good bacteria that breaks down the fish waste, so the tank will have to re-cycle again putting her fish at risk.
marcshedden marcshedden
  • From Avon
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 6/5/2004 20:28
Re: Hexegan Tank #3
You're quite right to discourage her from stripping the tank down - every time this is done the essential nitrifying bacteria, which break down the liquid waste from the fish, are killed and it's basically like starting with a brand new tank again - something you don't want to do when you already have the fish!
To keep the tank clean, the best way to go is to invest in a gravel syphon and do weekly water changes of about 20% of the tank's volume with this. the solid waste can be removed from the gravel by this method and the bacteria are left alone to build up to sufficient numbers to cope with the liquid waste. The result is happy fish and happy fishkeepers!
lseaton lseaton
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 7/5/2004 9:20
Re: Hexegan Tank #4
I got a gravel cleaning device recently and it's fantastic!!! you can see all the mess coming out of the gravel! and it empties the water very quickly with no drips or spills - this is handy as my tank is in my bedroom

Resized Image
Anonymous  
Re: Hexegan Tank #5
I got a gravel cleaner and wouldnt be without it, priceless.
bobbybubble bobbybubble
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 8/5/2004 23:17
Re: Hexegan Tank #6
Could you tell me what the gravel cleaning device is? Do you mean a syphon? Sorry if I sound a bit thick!!!!

Bobbybubble
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Image Admin Caresheets Moderators Advisers
  • Posted on: 9/5/2004 1:20
Re: Hexegan Tank #7
Hi again Its called a gravel cleaner but you can also use it if you have sand, basicly its a tube attached to a hose and when you stick it in the gravel and start the syphon it sucks the muck out of the gravel/sand with some water, you can also get ones that don't take water too, but the basic ones do so you can do apart water change at the same time as clean the substrate.
Anonymous  
Re: Hexegan Tank #8
yep, I have one of these, invaluable, you can get different
sizes, be careful with smaller fish, fry, snailes, etc even got my goldfish stuck up there once, you start by pust the large end in the tank down the bottom somewhere, then take the end of the tube and suck the water, watch as it gets near the end, and put the tube in a bucket you then just like vaccum the gravel, to stop it, if you see a fish in the tube then just lift the end out of the water, I am usually so intend on my hoovering I forget to keep an eye on the water level in the bucket, and sometimes end up flooding the carpet. Never clean your gravel or completely empty your tank, if the quality of the water is still low after a 25% water change, than do small water changes daily no more than 10% soon gets back up to normal. This would normally result because of overstocking or over feeding.
di
lseaton lseaton
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 9/5/2004 14:08
Re: Hexegan Tank #9
I think i've got the Interpet one, i got the large one for £6.99 at Pets at Home as that was the cheapest but best i saw
I wish i had got the medium size one now for £4.99 as it takes a bit of work to get enough water in the tube to begin syphoning and then when it starts it is very very quick, i nearly did the same and overfilled the bucket!
I put the fish in a seperate bowl as i thought they might get sucked up as they are inquisitive little devils
My gravel cleaner is colourless so you can see all the mess going into it
Resized Image
biomed biomed
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 25/6/2004 23:26
Re: Hexegan Tank #10
Hi

I got the small one from Pets at Home. Its brill so easy to use and love the way it sucks the gravel up only a bit then drops it as all the watse floats on up.

ROBBIE