(1) 2 »
stickthin stickthin
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Angus
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 20/4/2007 8:15
pH and freshwater shrimps... #1
Im quite taken with some of the freshwater shrimps that are out there at the moment but from my research it says they need water of above pH 7.0 for their exoskeletons.

My problem is that I live in an extremely softwater area with a pH of 6.6 (very good if you keep softwater fishes! )

Ive seen some calcium additives and things like that which are supposed to help shrimps and snails in the formation of their shells and exoskeletons.

Basically, if I add this to my water, would it be sufficient for the shrimps and would it raise the pH itself or would I need to buffer the water up to a higher pH first?

Thanks for the help guys and gals!
boatboyy boatboyy
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Lanarkshire
  • Posted on: 20/4/2007 10:14
Re: pH and freshwater shrimps... #2
Hi,

I keep and breed Cherry shrimp in the red and wild forms in water with a PH slightly under 6. They are thriving ! I have over 200 but its hard to count that many they wont stay still. I have Amano shrimp to my first Amano is three years old.

Calcium is very important. I feed them on Hakiri Crab pellets and other food hight in Calcium like spinich. If the diet is good the water can stay at a low PH with no problems. I have some crushed oyster shell in my filter but I think this makes less diference than the food as they were fine for months before I put it in

Hope this helps. Shrimp are great fun and will eat your algea too !

EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 20/4/2007 10:54
Re: pH and freshwater shrimps... #3
On a side note .... how do you go about maintaining such a low pH ?
stickthin stickthin
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Angus
  • Posted on: 20/4/2007 11:04
Re: pH and freshwater shrimps... #4
Thanks for that boatboyy.

So you reckon that just by adding the calcium they should be fine? My other concern is that I was hoping to house them in with some angel fish. They are quite small at the moment but Im unsure about whether or not the shrimp will be eaten when the fish grow a bit. Would they be safe in there with them or would it be best to just put them in a tank on their own?

EagleC, I live up in Scotland and my tap water is very soft and slightly acid. GH and KH both virtually 0 and my pH is 6.6 straight from the tap. To lower the pH you could mix RO water and tap water 50/50 when you put fresh water into your tank when you do a water change. Another alternative that Ive read about is whats called a 'peat sandwich' which involves putting a small amount of peat into a stocking and placing this into your filter with all your other media. I don't know how well this would work but it maybe worth a try? Someone with more experience will be able to help though, as I say, Im just lucky with where I live!

Ask some of the members from London how they lower pH as I think they have very hard water down there?
SnailTrail SnailTrail
  • Freshwater Inverts Adviser
  • From London
  • Posted on: 20/4/2007 11:07
Re: pH and freshwater shrimps... #5
With a PH that low you're quite lucky in the fact you can keep crystal red shrimp....I saw some fine specimens in my lfs, grade A's with one that had the nicest white saddle i've ever seen. I couldn't buy them because i've tried a couple of these shrimp before and they don't last long in my tanks although my tigers are thriving big time yet these are also meant to be delicate like CRS. You could also keep bumblebee shrimp but there's a chance they will interbreed with CRS and bee shrimp will for certain. Red cherry shrimp are another option but avoid species that prefer higher PH's like green shrimp (caridina babaulti).
Original Image
SnailTrail SnailTrail
  • From London
  • Posted on: 20/4/2007 11:07
Re: pH and freshwater shrimps... #6
They will be fish snacks for the angels i'm afraid.
Original Image
stickthin stickthin
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Angus
  • Posted on: 20/4/2007 11:11
Re: pH and freshwater shrimps... #7
Thanks SnailTrail, I was afraid of that!
SnailTrail SnailTrail
  • From London
  • Posted on: 20/4/2007 11:19
Re: pH and freshwater shrimps... #8
If you were going to go for crystal reds it would be worth setting up a shrimp only tank due to the cost of the shrimp which you could breed and possibly sell....espcially if the shrimp are quite rare where you live.
Also you'll get to see the shrimp so much more if fish aren't around and they'll be less waste in the tank (high nitrates are a no-no with shrimp).
My tigers have their own tank and I have so many....around 7 or 8 generations of shrimp.

Best of luck whatever you decide.
Original Image
EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Posted on: 20/4/2007 11:22
Re: pH and freshwater shrimps... #9
Quote:

stickthin wrote:

EagleC, I live up in Scotland

Actually I was asking boatboyy as he said his water was <6ph. I use RO but even with that the water is Ph 6.4 minimum. By the time I've added the Gh minerals the Kh is also increased and I end up with 6.8-7.0
This isn't causing me any problems tbh as thats about what I want but I'm still interested in how you could accomplish more extreme conditions should I want to in future.
stickthin stickthin
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Angus
  • Posted on: 20/4/2007 11:26
Re: pH and freshwater shrimps... #10
Are crystal reds harder to look after than other shrimps? I have absolutely no idea with these animals so I wouldnt want to start off with something too difficult.

I have a spare 120L tank that I could use, what kind of stocking density would I be looking at for this? Also, sourcing ANY shrimp up here is difficult (my LFS says they sell like hot cakes but they rarely have them in stock?!) so is there a reputable online store where I could maybe pick some up from?

Thanks for the help SnailTrail!