(1) 2 »
bobbybubble bobbybubble
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 4/5/2004 21:26
Returning to fishkeeping #1
After a break of nearly three years I have decided to return to keeping fish. I used to keep tropicals but was not very successful.

I am thinking of setting up a coldwater tank and keeping goldfish. I have a tank that is approximately 2 and a half feet long and 18 inches high. I intend to have a fluval underwater filter.

Can anybody suggest a good mix of fish-and how many do you think that size tank can handle?

Regards

bobbybubble
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Image Admin Caresheets Moderators Advisers
  • Posted on: 4/5/2004 21:53
Re: Returning to fishkeeping #2
Hi bobbybubble So you want to have ago at keeping goldfish I hope that's not because you think they are going to be easier to keep than tropical, as you will find out they are a lot more work, but worth it, It depends on what type of goldfish you are looking at keeping, regular goldfish, comets, shubunkins or fancy goldfish like fantails, Black moors, telescope eyed or orandas etc, I would keep the same type together as fancy goldfish like their water slighly warmer than the regular goldfish also you can have problems when the fish are in spawning as the male regular goldfish can mistake the round bodys of the fancys for females and harrass them which the fancys can not handle. To know how many you can keep you will need to work out how many gallons your tank is and allow at least 8 uk gallons per fish for growth unless you plan on getting a larger tank as they outgrow the one you have
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 6/5/2004 18:17
Re: Returning to fishkeeping #3
Any update, what have you decided.
bobbybubble bobbybubble
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 6/5/2004 18:29
Re: Returning to fishkeeping #4
Thanks for the reply. I don't think cold water fishkeeping is an easy option but I just want to make sure that I get started on the right track.

I've decided to get started with a couple of black moors and maybe a cold water plec. I'm in no hurry to fill the tank up.

Regards

Bobbybubble
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 6/5/2004 18:35
Re: Returning to fishkeeping #5
Glad to hear you are taking it slowly as there is no rush, and I wasn't being funny its just that some people get goldfish thinking that they are a lot easier to keep than tropical because you do not need a heater, but infact they can be more work as they are very messy fish, what type of plec are you thinking of getting.
bobbybubble bobbybubble
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 6/5/2004 20:01
Re: Returning to fishkeeping #6
Didn't think you were being funny at all. Thanks for the advice.

I don't really know what type of plecs there are so could you advise me.

regards

Bobbububble
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 6/5/2004 20:53
Re: Returning to fishkeeping #7
I am not really sure what would be suitable for a coldwater tank because a lot of plecs grow too big, there are brislenose plecs that do not grow very big but they like a warmer tank, I have 3 hillstream loach they only grow to about 4 inches they are meant to eat algea but I find they only eat what grows on the algea.
Here is a photo of my striped one : Resized Image
bobbybubble bobbybubble
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 9/5/2004 16:31
Re: Returning to fishkeeping #8
Just got my first two Black Moors. They are very small and look lonely in the tank.

How soon should I add more fish?

Regards

Bobbybubble
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 9/5/2004 17:01
Re: Returning to fishkeeping #9
You say you have just got 2 black moors, how long did you set the tank up for "cycle" before adding the fish and do you have any plants or decorations at all as they help to make the tank look less empty with only the 2 fish in it, I would wait untill the water parimetors are stable before adding any more fish. I guess you know all this already with keeping tropical before.
bobbybubble bobbybubble
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 9/5/2004 21:09
Re: Returning to fishkeeping #10
I had the tank set up for a week with a few plants. I took a sample of the water to the Aquarium shop and they told me it was ok to add fish. I thought I would add about two fish a week(to a maximum of eight) is this ok.

Regards

Bobbybubble