pirotake pirotake
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 28/3/2007 13:53
De-humidifier #1
Hello. Could anyone tell me if I can use the water accumulated by an air dehumidifier we have in the house, at least to dilute the tap water? I presume the water accumulated is close to purified water as it was in the air... I live in Middlesex and the tap water here is VERY HARD and ph 7 to 7.5. I have some tetras and I heard they prefer softer water.

Thanks in advance!
Fishy-Fishy Fishy-Fishy
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Moderators Advisers FK Supporter Deep End
  • Posted on: 28/3/2007 13:56
Re: De-humidifier #2
Hi Pirotake, welcome to FK

I wouldn't use it personally as it can contain traces of all sorts of nastiesls that are airborn ie cleaning products, cigarette smoke (if you smoke), perfume etc etc. What sort of tetras do you have? Most of them are bred in captivity now so are adjusted to our harder alkaline water
pirotake pirotake
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 28/3/2007 14:02
Re: De-humidifier #3
Hi Fishy-Fishy,

Thanks for that. The tank is only 4 weeks old and I have only neons + glowlights and they recently suffered some stress (fin rot, especially glowlights) which I thought had something to do with water. They are doing better now but I want to prevent the same from happening! Any other tips?

Thanks
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Advisers Registered Users
  • Posted on: 28/3/2007 14:11
Re: De-humidifier #4
do you have a test kit? 4 weeks isnt very old, its most likely that their symptoms were down to 'new tank syndrome'. tanks should be matured before adding the first fish, to make sure the good bacteria are established in the filter sponge to break down fish waste.

how frequently are you doing water changes and how much? majority of fish problems are down to water, but in a new tank usually down to cycle not being fully established. water readings will giv us more info.
Gill

Resized Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...
EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 28/3/2007 14:26
Re: De-humidifier #5
Does your local store sell RO filtered water? My local maidenhead aquatics does at £4.50 per 25 liters. For my sons tank I used this water for water changes to take the hardness out as well as the other unwanted extras.
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Advisers Registered Users
  • Posted on: 28/3/2007 14:32
Re: De-humidifier #6
Quote:

EagleC wrote:
My local maidenhead aquatics does at £4.50 per 25 liters. For my sons tank I used this water for water changes to take the hardness out as well as the other unwanted extras.

how much?? thats twice what i pay!! rip off!
and you dont use RO pure do you? it has no mineral content which is needed, shouldnt be used pure. it need to be remineralised by mixing it with some tap water of adding a freswater tropical mineral mix.
Gill

Resized Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...
EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 28/3/2007 16:03
Re: De-humidifier #7
Sorry, I forgot to mention they add mineralsback in and they've just dropped the price to 3.50. It is more expensive than the other store round here but I trust the staff more so I dont mind getting a little ripped off ;)
now I have this big tank comming tomorrow though I've started looking at buying my own RO unit because even at £3.50 per 25L its still going to cost a lot to fill a 380 L tank!