sarahsop sarahsop
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 25/3/2007 19:18
Shrimps...dead or shedding skin??? #1
Hello everyone!

My husband likes crustations! However its my tank and I put my hands in there....I have issues with things that can nip!!! So he bought some shrimps, at the time I did wonder if my fighter would eat them? A couple of days later they were no where to be seen and I swear Sammy had a smug look on his face LOL! I did find a shell of one and assumed it had died, checked my chemistry and everything was fine. I have loads of plants and also thought they could be hiding.

This was a couple of months ago, then yesterday I found a pair of shrimps! They have moved into the light fittings on the side of the tank (I put three of the marina LED lights in for night time.....they don't spoil hubbys film viewing!)

So my first question is do Shrimps shed their skin? I've searched the net and can't find anything! I think they are Plant shrimps, clar with little spots on their backs?

Second question is can they live out of water? I am due another water change tomorrow and will drop the level below where they are hiding, will they swim out?

Thanks!

sarah x

Anonymous  
Re: Shrimps...dead or shedding skin??? #2
hi sarah,
shrimps do shed their skin and they go into hiding when they shed their skin.the reason for this is that their bodies are soft when their skin sheds and they hide until their skin goes harder so other fish won't eat them.i have 2 amano shrimps in my tank and dont see them very often.i only see them if they come out for a bit of food and they run into hiding before the other fish try and get the food off them.
the answer to your second question is i dont think they live out of water but when i do a water change i have seen them swimming around in circles like they are doing laps in my tank.but there would be enough water in your tank for them when you do your water change.i sure they wont swim out your tank.hope this information is useful to you.
good luck,Charlie
SnailTrail SnailTrail
  • Freshwater Inverts Adviser
  • Freshwater Inverts Adviser
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 26/3/2007 11:58
Re: Shrimps...dead or shedding skin??? #3
I have three amanos in one tank that have never been shy(i've had these since oct 2004) and bought four new ones a few weeks back. The new ones were nowhere to be seen although the only fish I have in there with them is a shoal of pgymy corys. The only started coming out to the front of the tank a few days ago.

I have another tank bursting with tiger shrimp and they eat the moults shedded. I've seen my amanos do this too. If the moult looks clear and there's a break at the back of the "neck" it's a moult.
Original Image
sarahsop sarahsop
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 26/3/2007 14:58
Re: Shrimps...dead or shedding skin??? #4
Fantastic!!

I sat and studyed them for ages last night, seeing that I wasn't keen to have them in the first place I have been fascinated!

The shell I found was exactly as described, clear with a break at the back of the neck, obviusly a moult!

I've been putting off the water change as the light fittings they are hiding inside are right at the top of the tank and I will lower the water way past this to do a 20% change.

Any hints anyone? Will they just swim out and then be eaten as they are shredding? I could move the light fitting down but I could squash them then?

Do you guys have anything in your tanks specifically for them to hide in? Maybe I should move away from the minimal look and put some hiding places in there!!

Thanks!

sarah x
sarahsop sarahsop
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 26/3/2007 15:01
Re: Shrimps...dead or shedding skin??? #5
Hi Charlie

Just realised that this was your fist post!

Welcome and BIG thank you for such helpfull info!

Speak soon no daubt!

sarah x
Anonymous  
Re: Shrimps...dead or shedding skin??? #6
hi sarah,
thanks for the welcome and i just found this website and find it very interesting to see and find out what other people are doing with their tanks.i dont get on the computer often cause my two boys are never off it.but to your question i have a lot of plants and rocks in my tank so there are plenty hiding places for my shrimps to hide while their skin gets hard but i think they should just swim out of the light fitting and swim into a hiding place.i know for a fact that plecs do like shrimps in their diet so it is not true that they are just algae eaters.so as long as you have a few hiding places in your tank the other fish wont really bother your shrimps.i have a otocinclus instead of a plec and it does not even look at the shrimps.hope this is useful for you.
good luck,charlie.
sarahsop sarahsop
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 26/3/2007 19:49
Re: Shrimps...dead or shedding skin??? #7
Charlie

Thanks again!

Bummer I bought a tiny plec a few weeks ago and am really smitten with him already! Hope hubbys shrimps keep out of his way!

Water change delayed till tomorrow.....really need to move the tank to re-arange the living room but can't face the thought of all that water!

sarah x
sarahsop sarahsop
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 28/3/2007 10:15
Re: Shrimps...dead or shedding skin??? #8
Hi

I've finally moved the tank!

The shrimps were hiding in the lights as usual so I carefully moved them down to the bottom where of course they legged it....over my hand!!!!!

I lost them instantly into the plants and haven't seen them since?? I hope they have just found somewhere new to hide out.....

Thanks for all your help!

sarah x