NanoNewbie NanoNewbie
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 19/3/2007 19:56
Nano Tank Upgrade #1
Recently caught the marine bug, have had an Orca TL450 for just over 2 weeks now. The tank has settled in well and water quality is good, with a couple of clown fish that seem to be thriving as are the cleaner shrimp, turbo snail and hermit crab. However already feeling restricted by the v.limited number of fish I will be able keep in the Orca (some say no more than 4?) so thinking of changing to a Red Sea Max instead which is just about twice the volume at 110 litres and seems like a good package for a newbie.
Any advice would be welcome, just wondering if it is a bit soon to trade in but feeling frustrated looking at all the fish that I will never be able to have in the Orca.
adamcrouch adamcrouch
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 19/3/2007 19:59
Re: Nano Tank Upgrade #2
If you've got the money go for the RSM. Go buy it and let it cycle and then move ur live stock over and u could always keep the orca as a hospital or frag tanks :)
NanoNewbie NanoNewbie
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 19/3/2007 21:14
Re: Nano Tank Upgrade #3
Cheers for the advice, Adam, very tempted!
StoneCold StoneCold
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Midlands
  • Posted on: 19/3/2007 22:26
Re: Nano Tank Upgrade #4
Quote:

NanoNewbie wrote:
Recently caught the marine bug, have had an Orca TL450 for just over 2 weeks now. The tank has settled in well and water quality is good, with a couple of clown fish that seem to be thriving as are the cleaner shrimp, turbo snail and hermit crab. However already feeling restricted by the v.limited number of fish I will be able keep in the Orca (some say no more than 4?) so thinking of changing to a Red Sea Max instead which is just about twice the volume at 110 litres and seems like a good package for a newbie.
Any advice would be welcome, just wondering if it is a bit soon to trade in but feeling frustrated looking at all the fish that I will never be able to have in the Orca.

Hiya NanoNewbie, welcome to FK. I know what you mean about the stocking level for the Orca, I have one and am fully stocked now, however I am enjoying watching it develop! I think the Red Sea Max is a fantastic starter tank too (I think they retail at about £600?) I have had a good look at one in my LFS, its very well designed. As Adam said, if your wallet (and other half) will allow then you could keep the Orca as well? This is my plan (when finances allow) although I want a bigger tank still! I will keep the orca and use it to propogate corals etc.
nizztime nizztime
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Devon
  • Posted on: 20/3/2007 0:30
Re: Nano Tank Upgrade #5
sorry stone cold didnt see this until i posted my reasea max post
but yes it is a great aquarium,just waiting for a 100 gallon one to hit the shelf now
Resized Image proper bo!!!
NanoNewbie NanoNewbie
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 20/3/2007 20:29
Re: Nano Tank Upgrade #6
Thanks for the advice StoneCold. Had a look at your Orca blog when we got our tank - it's looking really good! Also, your article on setting up the Orca was very helpful, much more so than the instruction leaflet, thanks.
monkey_dog monkey_dog
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Kent
  • Posted on: 20/3/2007 22:35
Re: Nano Tank Upgrade #7
Well done nano! Now i've had a look at that red sea badboy and want one too! Has anyone got one set up? Would be interested to see some pictures and stuff.