natterjack natterjack
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 18/3/2007 18:14
small microthings appearing in fishless cyle? #1
hi,

I am doing a fishless cyclefor my freshwater tank which i am hoping to house shoals of danios. This is only 38 litres.

The tank consist of gravels, rock and plants all bought from my lfs. Been treating and testing water for nitrite. All seem going to plan for one week and still got to do two more weeks before adding any fish. (all being well)

Day 7- noticed a very micro creature on glass which is appearing to be a baby snail. It moves quickly! must have came with a egg on plants. I am fine with this! hope it is an apple snail!

Day10, i have spotted a few wriggling white worm-like creatures on the glass. They are so mirco-size and cant take a good picture to show. Are these bacteria? Should I be worried or is this normal for fishless cycle. I hope these wont be pests to my lovely fishes? sorry for all the questions!

answers will be appreciated. let me know if you need more details.

Thanks

Natterjack

Resized Image
Fishy-Fishy Fishy-Fishy
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Moderators Advisers FK Supporter Deep End
  • Posted on: 18/3/2007 18:30
Re: small microthings appearing in fishless cyle? #2
Yeah, it is almost impossible to get plants without snails on, they shouldn't cause too many problems though.

The small white worms are planaria, are you cycling the tank using fish food by any chance? They usually show up when you overfeed so it's normal to get some if you cycle a tank using fish food. They will soon disappear once you get fish because there will be more competition for food and I think the fish eat them too

natterjack natterjack
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 18/3/2007 18:49
Re: small microthings appearing in fishless cyle? #3
oh phew! I am so relieved! Yes, I am using fish food. Will cut down the feeding a bit then! The worms are nasty looking thing- I am avoiding them like the plague!

What is the most popular freshwater snails? I think my baby snail is developing a round circular as opposed to a pointing cone. It's so tiny and yet trying to find out what type! Just working out the likely hood of which breed.

cheers
Natterjack

Resized Image
Fishy-Fishy Fishy-Fishy
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Moderators Advisers FK Supporter Deep End
  • Posted on: 18/3/2007 19:09
Re: small microthings appearing in fishless cyle? #4
Sounds like a ramshorn snail, there are tons of different kinds though.

No need to cut back on the food until the cycle has finished, the worms are harmless

Wurzel Wurzel
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 7/7/2007 0:55
Re: small microthings appearing in fishless cyle? #5
I had the same worm things as you they did worry me at first to. I was cycling a tank for a bunch of lemon tetra and lampeye tetra and found some on the glass and plants just after having added the fish. My worries subsided when one of the lemon tetra started eating them.

Is there only one baby snail? I know its gona be hard to tell But aww bless if hes the only one!