Hypnopoison Hypnopoison
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From South Glamorgan
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 16/1/2005 13:14
Quarantine tank ... #1
I'm thinking of setting up a Quarantine tank so if any of my fish become ill I can treat them separately and hopefully keep the rest from falling too ill. Also I would like one so that I can introduce new fish and keep an eye on them before putting them in with my current fish in the main tank.

I have been looking on the interent for suitable tanks for this purpose. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a paricular one? Size? etc etc

Cheers :)
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Image Admin Caresheets Moderators Advisers
  • Posted on: 16/1/2005 13:31
Re: Quarantine tank ... #2
You don't need a very big tank as a quarentine/hospital tank, but it dependson what fish you are planning to get really, I have a 5.5 gallon quarentine/hospital tank and it seems to be sufficient
Hero69 Hero69
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Midlands
  • Posted on: 16/1/2005 15:34
Re: Quarantine tank ... #3
Hi Goldy,

Do you have your quaratine tank set up all the time or just when u have sick fish?

Im thinking of setting one up but not sure if to have it running all the time or when needed

Steve
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Image Admin Caresheets Moderators Advisers
  • Posted on: 16/1/2005 15:49
Re: Quarantine tank ... #4
No I don't have it set up because I already have 2 tanks set up, one being my Rena the other my old 4ft and they both have different ph levels, one is higher than the other so what I do is keep a spare fluval 2+ filter matured in my Rena and then use some of the water out of which ever tank I need to take fish from in the case of a hospital tank, or if quarantining new fish then water from which ever tank they are to go into, hope that makes sence
jamesh jamesh
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 16/1/2005 17:15
Re: Quarantine tank ... #5
I had a wander around Pets at Home today and they have some really reaonably priced kits which I was looking at for quarantine purposes.

20 - 30 quid gets you a plastic tank, filter, lid etc of 11 - 20 litres which im sure would do if well looked after for most comunity fish when new/ small or for treating a single fish for a week or two.

I havent been in there for a while and was quite impressed with thier stock of dry goods etc so atleast I know I can get treatments after 6pm in an emergancy.
Anonymous  
Re: Quarantine tank ... #6
they are good for dry goods, just the fish well u know
jamesh jamesh
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 16/1/2005 21:50
Re: Quarantine tank ... #7
Oh yes I would only by my fish from Wet Pets in Romford or Maidenhead Aquatics at Enfield at the moment. As well as all my dry goods but its just handy to know if I get in from work at 6 and find a problem I can shoot down to the store and get a treatment there and then.

I believe that if you regularly use a good shop you tend to get better service when you most need it than if you only go in once in a blue moon.
Anonymous  
Re: Quarantine tank ... #8
I might venture up there at some stage james, bit of a trek from colchester, which is the better one for fish, choice and health wise, di