Nic75 Nic75
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Lancashire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 5/3/2007 13:10
What filter / pump do I need? #1
Hello,

Please could someone advise me? I would like to have a small pond in my new back garden, for a few goldfish & shubunkins. I keep looking at all these pumps & filters in the garden centre but can't figure out what I need. I really should buy a book! Just wanted something simple and my garden isn't that big so not going for a big pond. Do I have to have UVC filters? Would like a waterfall, but only as side effect of the filtering, if that makes sense. My Dad & I built a pond when I was a child but we didn't have any pumps or filters in it. We had fish in it which grew really big and thrived, although we didn't see them very often, as well as the usual frogs & tadpoles. Any advice would be appreciated greatly.

Thanks,

Nic
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Moderators Caresheets Image Admin Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 5/3/2007 13:18
Re: What filter / pump do I need? #2
Hello there what fish are you thinking of keeping as this will determine the size of the filter etc, most pond fish grow very big as you know "going by your previous pond" so I would allow them room to grow when deciding how big the pond is to be and how many fish to add, we can go into all this later, as for filter some reading which may help explain the basic stuff

http://www.worldofwater.com/filtration.htm

http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0404/pond_filters.asp
Nic75 Nic75
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Lancashire
  • Posted on: 7/3/2007 12:44
Re: What filter / pump do I need? #3
Hi,

Thanks for the information and links, I will have a read. Would just like goldfish and shubunkins in the pond. I was even thinking of putting the fish I have in my aquarium into the pond and maybe going Tropical with my aquarium.

Nic
fredrick_more fredrick_more
  • Pond Moderator
  • Pond Moderator
  • From Nottinghamshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 7/3/2007 19:57
Re: What filter / pump do I need? #4
Hey, firstly what type of fish have you got in your aquarium?

As Goldy said, if you can give us sizes we should be able to help alot more, until then you need the pond to be turned over a minimium of every two hours (so half the pump every hour) so for example if your pond is 1000 litres you need a pump which does 500 l/h. However often its alot better to do the whole pond once an hour and it means you wouldnt have to clean the filter out as often especialy in the summer. Also a larger pump means you get a larger head, so your waterfall can be higher if needed. Filter wise, you dont have to have a UV, thats only to kill of alagae off and prevent green water.

Filter box wise, you need one which will be able to cope with flow rate from the pump, but again bigger is better. You could have for a simple box design which has a gravity fed outlet which can feed the waterfall.
Nic75 Nic75
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Lancashire
  • Posted on: 8/3/2007 13:39
Re: What filter / pump do I need? #5
Hello,

Thanks for the advice. As for size, I haven't got that far yet. I need to weigh it up, I've got an idea in my head but couldn't give it you in litres, I will have to go to the garden centre and look at the preformed ponds, choose the size and make note of the volume. I was reading the info on waterworld website about having a pond without a filter if you're only having a few fish and lots of plants - thinking of going down this route as this may be easier to start with. What do you think?

Thanks again,

Nic
fredrick_more fredrick_more
  • Pond Moderator
  • Pond Moderator
  • From Nottinghamshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 8/3/2007 15:02
Re: What filter / pump do I need? #6
Yeah you can do, the only problems are that you willnt have as many fish as you would if you did have a filter, you would have to proberly wait at least 2-4 months since the pond was created and the last of plants added, to make sure the plants are established enough to add fish. The only other thing would be you will need some way to areate the pond in the summer, either an air pump or a small pump with a foutain in the pond.