Animal Welfare Vote
jojox jojox
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Flintshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 26/1/2007 13:28
APPLE SNAIL TEMP #1
what is the minimum temp that you can keep apple snails?
I recently rehomed my apple snail cos he was eating my plants but now he is being bullied so i would like him back... need to organise a cheap set up quick... but nothing's ever cheap where these pets are concerned lol
any advice greatly appreciated

was hoping i wouldnt need a heater
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Moderators Caresheets Image Admin Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 26/1/2007 16:51
Re: APPLE SNAIL TEMP #2
Information on them, click on care which tells you the information below
http://www.applesnail.net/

Temperature

The optimal water temperature for apple snails lays between 18 to 28°C (65-82°F). As with many cold-blooded animals, apple snails are more active at higher temperatures. At higher temperatures, they eat faster, creep faster and they grow faster. Also higher temperatures mainly induce the reproduction of the apple snail. At lower temperatures (18°C/65°F) the apple snail enters a dormancy state in which they creep away in the mud and become very inactive. Temperatures below 18°C/65°F should be avoided as the mortality rate quickly increases.
SnailTrail SnailTrail
  • Freshwater Inverts Adviser
  • Freshwater Inverts Adviser
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 26/1/2007 17:51
Re: APPLE SNAIL TEMP #3
If you're setting up a brand new tank for him you'll need to make sure it's cycled first. Apple snail's bodies swell when around nitrIte or ammonia and then basically just sit on the substrate dying.

If you have an established tank, take some filter sponge from it and place it into the new filter, making sure you use declorinator on the tap water before filling the tank.

If your snail is a Pomacea canaliculata it'll need 5 gallons of tank space.
Original Image
jojox jojox
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Flintshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 26/1/2007 18:02
Re: APPLE SNAIL TEMP #4
thanks both for the replies... i've just been out and got a 28 l tank for him just need to sort a heater out!!!!!... i do have a spare 100 w one but too strong i think. what do you all think? and the filter is a fluval 2 plus and i have plenty of mature filter media to spare... will the filter be too strong as well?