• Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Image Admin Caresheets Moderators Advisers
  • Posted on: 2/1/2007 13:23
Filteration #1
Quote:

dart56 wrote:
i noticed that you have a rena aqualife fishtank so do i have had it about 3months, it is 380L and i keep getting problems on and off with water cloudyness i have a rena xp3 and filter media such as carbon, gla foam, mechanical foam,ceramic rings and filter wool i was wondering maybe do you think i need another external pump to back the 1 i have now up. thanks jack.

I see you have goldfish too the Rena xp3 is quite good actually and should cope in your 4ft as it does in mine which is the next size up, I do keep a spare internal in too for emergencies but the External is fine on its own

If you could tell us a little on how you clean the filter and how often you replace the media eg, bio-chemzorb then we can hopefully find out what the cloudiness is down to
dart56 dart56
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 2/1/2007 13:32
Re: Filteration #2
i must admit i dont use rena filter media i use superfish carbon, ceramic rings and gla foam but i have supa filter wool and rena mechanical foam the carbon is in mesh bags in the filter and ceramics are loose i clean the media in stages as not to kill off all of the bacteria the water is sort of a greeney murkey colour and the fish do not look happy
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 2/1/2007 14:07
Re: Filteration #3
Using other makes of ceramic rings is fine and filter wool the main media are the black Rena filter sponges which you have so wouldn't think the media is at fault, you didn't say how often you clean the filter, I clean mine roughly monthly and it is fine with that, a few more questions do you have any water readings, as for the green murky colour sounds like algae, how long do you have the lights on for and do you have any live plants not easy with goldfish I know
dart56 dart56
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Posted on: 2/1/2007 14:15
Re: Filteration #4
i clean my filter roughly monthly aswell and i have 3 live plants (did have more but were devoured) but i have 100 live plants on the way off ebay i ordered on boxing day. i have recently had problems with filamentous algae and it says in my book to use plenty of live plants because they eat nitrates i have a master water test kit that came with the tank i will do the tests now and post the results in the forum i have my lights on form around 7.30am - 10pm
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 2/1/2007 14:23
Re: Filteration #5
Think you may find the lights are the problem then as they recommend 8 to 10 hours split into two sessions if your tank suffers with algae try splitting it into two sessions and reduce the time and see if this helps any
dart56 dart56
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Posted on: 2/1/2007 14:50
Re: Filteration #6
the results from my test were : PH= 8.2
nitrite= 0ppm
ammonia= oppm
nitrate= 10ppm

by splitting the lighting into two sessions do you mean have the lights on for 4 hrs then turn them off for an hour then back on for another 4hours sorry i misunderstand the question.
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 2/1/2007 14:57
Re: Filteration #7
Your water readings are fine Nitrate is quite low so not causing the algea yes split the lighting into two 4 hour sessions but leave a longer gap if you can in-between, so say 4 hours in the morning and then again in the evening, or one 4 hour session mid afternoon and again in the evening do you have a timer at all as this will save you having to leave it on if you are at work for example
dart56 dart56
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Posted on: 2/1/2007 15:07
Re: Filteration #8
no i do not have a timer but i will buy one, as i have turned the lights on it looks green in appearance but there is a white cloud sort of like fog or smoke wafting through the water it looks really odd i do not know what it is i dont suppose it may be to do with the water change i did yesterday?? thanks for your help
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 2/1/2007 15:20
Re: Filteration #9
Is the fog a new thing then wouldn't think the water change is the cause as this would clear rather than cloud do you have an airstone or similar that may cause a lot of bubbles as sometimes this can make the water appear cloudy
dart56 dart56
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Posted on: 2/1/2007 15:24
Re: Filteration #10
yes i have an airstone for my borneo suckers yes it seemed to appear when i had the airstone on does it need changing because i do have spares?