I-love-my-fish I-love-my-fish
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Kent
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 20/12/2006 21:33
Worried that noisy filter is distressing fish #1
Hi all.

Have recently started having probs with my tank filter. its an "elite" one, pretty basic but seems to have always done the job well.

recently though its been incredibly noisy. its like something is slightly catching on the side of the case as it filters, which makes a really irritating buzzing sound even when turned on at its lowest. when its on full, its awful.

Usually have my filter on quite high, and dont like having it so low. Have also had to unstick the filter from the side of the tank as im worried its going to stress the fish out (and its already being treated for popeye so im guessing its delicate) so at the moment its kinda floating on the side, but still very noisy.

Any help?! Thanks :)
Resized Image
Flo, admiring herself in the glass!
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Moderators Advisers Image Admin
  • Posted on: 20/12/2006 21:44
Re: Worried that noisy filter is distressing fish #2
You could try taking it apart and putting it back together again in case it's not quite gone back together properly after a clean or something
It's Not Just A Fish
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Kent
  • Posted on: 20/12/2006 21:48
Re: Worried that noisy filter is distressing fish #3
i keep on taking it apart and one thing that seems to solve it is removing the bit off the front that the clean water fans out of.

i dont want to take this off as there is an air pipe that goes through this which is obviously there for a reason.

will vibrations and noise like this damage my fish in any way? :(

guess im going to have to get a new filter... how much would a replacement cost approx? (its only a v basic model and id be happy using the same thing again)
Resized Image
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Advisers Registered Users
  • Posted on: 21/12/2006 9:13
Re: Worried that noisy filter is distressing fish #4
a constant noise is better than random sudden bangs etc, but its probably not helping if its really noisy.

you can remove the outlet if it comes off, the air pipe does not need to be on there, it just adds to the surface disturbance, which isnt necessary, as long as the water itself is moving within the tank its ok. do you have any different bits to put on the front of the filter, some filters come with a range of outlets.

Gill

Resized Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Kent
  • Posted on: 21/12/2006 10:14
Re: Worried that noisy filter is distressing fish #5
havent got any other bits to put on the front of the filter- as i said its just a very basic one which came with the whole tank setup. but if its ok for me to take it off then i will do that- seems to keep it a lot quieter :)

Thanks!

(this post can now be moved thanks! just wanted to check my fishy wont be too stressed!)

C x
Resized Image