(1) 2 »
Anonymous  
Filters AND air pumps ? #1
Me again!

I'm getting confused with filters and air pumps ... do you need both?

Say I had a Fluval 2 plus filter ... do I need an air pump as well, or does the filter do the aeration as well?

Because I've started with a Bi-orb, I really don't understand how things work in a standard tank.

Thanks for helping with all my dopey questions!

Suzy
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Moderators Caresheets Image Admin Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 9/12/2004 14:21
Re: Filters AND air pumps ? #2
The main thing you need it the filter to keep the water clean and if you have the outflow so that it moves the water at the surface then it will aerate it too, but we usually have an air pump so that we can have an airstone that creates bubbles and aerates the tank "I think it looks nice too" the bubbles that is not the pump you can also have a decoration which bubbles like a chest see older Rena photo if you dont know what I mean
jamesh jamesh
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Essex
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 19/12/2004 17:33
Re: Filters AND air pumps ? #3
I have the 2 plus and it has a periscope part to the out flow of the pump which when it is above water level creates a stream of bubbles in the outflow jet of water.
so no air pump needed. Mine produces an annoying amount of tiny bubbles that circulate the tank.

Goldy how much movement do yo u need?? is it enough to have a slight ripple or does the water need to be broken??

Saw an advert in the magazine for an air pump that is total submersible rather than have a tube from an external one to an air stone cant find it at the moment but it looked good, not sure if mains powered or not tho?

james
Anonymous  
Re: Filters AND air pumps ? #4
you dont need an airpump as long as the water ripples, the outlet nozzle should be just under the waterline, making a rippling effect, airstone and bubble walls etc are decoration only. di
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Moderators Caresheets Image Admin Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 19/12/2004 23:55
Re: Filters AND air pumps ? #5
Quote:

jamesh wrote:
I have the 2 plus and it has a periscope part to the out flow of the pump which when it is above water level creates a stream of bubbles in the outflow jet of water.
so no air pump needed. Mine produces an annoying amount of tiny bubbles that circulate the tank.

I would think the tiny bubbles are actually aerating the tank

Quote:

Goldy how much movement do yo u need?? is it enough to have a slight ripple or does the water need to be broken??

Guess it depends on your stocking level and yes the water surface needs to be broken for the water to absorb the oxygen

Quote:

Saw an advert in the magazine for an air pump that is total submersible rather than have a tube from an external one to an air stone cant find it at the moment but it looked good, not sure if mains powered or not tho?

james

was that out of practical fishkeeping mag by any chance
Could only find this one with a photo:
http://www.petdiscounters.biz/custome ... tid=1157633&cat=953&page=
2pods 2pods
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Renfrewshire
  • Posted on: 21/12/2004 21:14
Re: Filters AND air pumps ? #6
I've got one of those pumps, and let me tell you, they're NOT noiseless.
What I mean is the bubbles are very loud, but there is no buzzing from the unit when it's plugged in but turned down.

It's just a variation on the venturi on most internal filters, and even if you turn the air adjuster right down, there are still bubbles.

Best to try and see one in action before purchase.
On the other hand, they're quite cheap

Peter
jamesh jamesh
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 22/12/2004 20:17
Re: Filters AND air pumps ? #7
Yeah but thats not the pump is it its the water moving I kind of like that noise.

Yeah it was practical fishkeeper, found myself in smiths looking for something to read and came across the mag.
Its got some good stuff in it.
good pic of a panda catfishy fish.deffinatly my next purchase I think. although that wont be until march now as the powers that be have decided I need to go and set up a new store for Jan/feb, so wont be able to look after new introductions. Mind you it has its advantages, 5 nights b&b a week in a pub

Anyway back to the pump yeah thats the one looks good to me, the only problem i can see is that the flow in my tank would disrupt the upward bubbles and cause them to circulate the tank ending up with the same issue.
Ive a day off tomorrow, cant remember what one of them is or what im sposed to do but going to have a play with the pump to see if i can sort it out better.
Anonymous  
Re: Filters AND air pumps ? #8
What the panda catfishy thing, is it a panda corydora, which i have 4 off.

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/callicht/corydora/267_f.php
jamesh jamesh
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 22/12/2004 21:42
Re: Filters AND air pumps ? #9
Yep thats the one couldnt remember the proper name, brain like a sieve
Anonymous  
Re: Filters AND air pumps ? #10
def my fav cory that one, ive got about 40 at the mo, not all pandas, i tryed to breed the albino and bronze and was more successful that i hoped, lol