mikedriscoll mikedriscoll
  • Pond Adviser
  • Pond  Adviser
  • From Wiltshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 22/10/2006 10:22
first post and a filtration question #1
Hi all,

fist time poster on here and all looks good.

Right onto my question.

My pond at present is 9 feet long 6 feet wide and about 4 feet deep at the deepest point, its filtered with an oasis pond clear 50, with a flow of about 2000 gallons an hour.

Next year I plan to enlarge the pond by building a wall all the way around the outside of the pond to a height of about 2 1/2 feet and increasing the surface area to (approx) 16 feet x 10 feet.

Obviusly I will need to upgrade the filtration and here lies my question, (thanks for staying so far). Heres my plan. I am going to add a second pond clear 50 and associated pump. the two filters will sit a either end of a channel about 12 feet long, 2 feet deep, (possibly more, up to about 4 feet), and about 2 feet wide. The channel will be filled with pea gravel and the filters will discharge water into this via a grid of pipes creating a large under gravel filter.The water will then fall into a second channel of simalar proportions but only about 1 foot deep with some form of substrate and planted with lillies and then over a second fall into the main pond!

OK take a breath.

Questions;

1. Is it possible to make an under gravel too deep? Will 4 foot of gravel be to much? Would 2 feet be better?

2. Assuming that under gravel idea works would planting the top layer of gravel with flag iris or other marginals be a possibilty adding vegetable filtration as well?

3. How about oxgenators in the second channel along with lillies?

4. Am I nuts for contemplating this?

5. Should I have roast parsnips with my chicken dinner today?

Many thanks
Mike Driscoll

Dont knock on Deaths door!
Ring the bell and run away!
Death hates that!
Fishy-Fishy Fishy-Fishy
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From -
  • Group: FK Supporter Advisers Moderators Registered Users Deep End
  • Posted on: 22/10/2006 10:33
Re: first post and a filtration question #2
Hi Mike, a warm welcome to FK

Wow, that's a heck of a plan you got there I'm not really a pondie but I'll have a go at answering your questions until someone who knows what they're talking about logs on

1. 4 feet does sound like a lot, especially since pea gravel is a small grade. Won't it get blocked up? Could you have a larger grade of gravel?

2. Plants don't tend to mix well with UG filters but you could have something floating like water hyacinth (or something frost hardy would be better). That way you would have vegetable filtration without the roots getting all mangled

3. Sure, why not. Too much oxygen won't do your fish any harm.

4. No!!

5. Yes. Save me some please
fredrick_more fredrick_more
  • Pond Moderator
  • Pond Moderator
  • From Nottinghamshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 22/10/2006 10:34
Re: first post and a filtration question #3
Welcome to the site.

Any chance you can draw a picture (even if its on paint) just to help us with the lay out of the pond
  • Pond Adviser
  • Pond  Adviser
  • From Wiltshire
  • Posted on: 22/10/2006 11:08
Re: first post and a filtration question #4

Yes I could use a different grade of gravel, although i dont see clogging a problem as the water will be pre filtered and it will essentilaly be reverse flow.

Send an addy and i will post your prsnips.

ok how do I insert a pic?

Do i need to host it somewhere first?
Mike Driscoll

Death hates that!
Fishadmin Fishadmin
  • Webmaster
  • Webmaster
  • From Spain
  • Group: Webmasters Registered Users LFS Caresheets Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 22/10/2006 11:10
  • Pond Adviser
  • Pond  Adviser
  • From Wiltshire
  • Posted on: 22/10/2006 11:21
Re: first post and a filtration question #6
Mike Driscoll

Death hates that!
  • Pond Moderator
  • Pond Moderator
  • From Nottinghamshire
  • Posted on: 22/10/2006 11:22
Re: first post and a filtration question #7
Yeah thats great cheers matie. Let me just re read ur first post
  • Pond Moderator
  • Pond Moderator
  • From Nottinghamshire
  • Posted on: 22/10/2006 11:38
Re: first post and a filtration question #8
filter
########
########++
######## +|
######## +|~~~~>>~~~............Pipe>+|:::::::::Gravel|
.....................+----------Grid---|
.....................+> Pipe Outlet

Is that what your sort of thinking off, so a pipe comes off the filter and goes under the gravel and under the grid which will then make its way through the gravel and any plants and over the water fall into the section?

As long as the two channels are higher than the main pond so gravity will take water it should work.

Also in the second channel it might be better to add a small wall with a small gap at the bottom just after the water fall so the water goes under the gap and near the roots of the lillies where it can be absorbed easier.
--------------}
WATERFALL} |
---------------} | Wall
----------------} |
---------GAP>______________
---------------______________Plating substrate

The only other way you could do it is the reverse so the outlet of the filter goes on to the top of the veg and through the bottom of the gravel and out of a hole for waterfall in the wall, the problem with this is that the first channel would have be quite high in order for the waterfall to to work. And you dont need it to be deep proberly a 1' to a 2' of gravel is enough for a veg filter.

Hope that makes sense
  • Pond Adviser
  • Pond  Adviser
  • From Wiltshire
  • Posted on: 22/10/2006 12:20
Re: first post and a filtration question #9
yep thats the general idea. But the water would flow into the bottom of the gravel pit through a grid of pipes with holes drilled in them to evenly distrubute the water ( in an attempt o emulate filter plates in a tank) which would then flow up through the gravel using it as a huge bio filter.

##################################################
#........................#.......................#

Something along these lines, imagine the center of the hash as an exit hole for the water from the oasis filters.(Ignore the full stops,wouldn't post without them?)right I cant get the dia gram to post the way i want it, it should look like a horizontal figure 8. i may in the fullness of time decide to add more pipes to make the grid more effective at water distribution. do i make any sense at all? LOL.

so would the depth of the gravel matter from a biological point of view?

i like the idea for the lillies roots though!
Mike Driscoll

Death hates that!
  • Pond Moderator
  • Pond Moderator
  • From Nottinghamshire
  • Posted on: 22/10/2006 12:54
Re: first post and a filtration question #10
So the flow of the water is bottom to top, if so you need a gap between the pipes and the gravel so that gravel cant block the pipes or crush the pipes. If you wanted as well you could a couple waste pipes coming from the first channel under the gap so that you can easily drain it down and clean the gravel at the same time.

If you were going to use pea gravel i personal also use it as both biological and vegalitle filter by just sticking some reeds in it that way water is forced through roots as well which will take out lot of Nitrites and nitrates as well as chemicals and again you are looking at about 1-2' of gravel this would be plently.