juddlin juddlin
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Lancashire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 1/10/2006 17:03
Poorly Blue Oranda going belly up! Help please? #1
Hello,

My lovely blue oranda is a very sick fish. Yesterday I noticed that he was looking a bit sad - keeping to the top of the tank but still swimming although his eyes were quite cloudy too. They were due a partial water change so thought I had best start. I did the usual, added tap safe, cycle and aquarium salt - all the correct amounts, I also added some King British Methylene Blue. But today he's just spiralling about the tank, still alive but looking very grim indeed.

There has to be a way to save him?

I also have a Ryukin, a Red Cap Oranda and a Black and Gold Fantail. All about 2 inches long, mere babies.

The tank has been set up about 6 months. I did have some teething problems, but I go to the local pet shop and getting the water tested regularly and there doesn't ever seem to be anything wrong it.

Can anyone help me save the Baby Blue Oranda? He is still alive and don't want to see him die.

Juddlin xxx
WickedFishie WickedFishie
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From London
  • Posted on: 1/10/2006 18:14
Re: Poorly Blue Oranda going belly up! Help please? #2
Sounds like swim bladder to me. If you could, can you give us the size of your tank and the water Test results?

For now, Only feed them every other day, and If you have any peas, Fresh or frozen, take the skin off and cut them up. Feed them to the fish, that might help. (They love peas and it makes them poop!)

But if hes Spiraling it may be a bit late :/ Hopefully goldy or Fishy will be around soon because they know a bit more. Let me see if I can find you a link on it.

Also, With the medication you put in, Did you take out the carbon in your filter if you have any?

One Fish, Two Fish..
Red Fish, Blue Fish!
  • From Lancashire
  • Posted on: 1/10/2006 18:40
Re: Poorly Blue Oranda going belly up! Help please? #3
hello,

Thank you - I'll try the peas now. He hasn't been eating at all, just took him out of the tank and noticed he's twitching a bit. He was litterally fine 2 days ago, he was always the most spritely of the 4, swimming against the pump and in the air stone bubbles.

I feed them once every 2 days.

I have a 34x15x12 inch clear seal tank - can't remember how many gallons it is as I have only been calculating the new water I put in for a partial change and to add salt, tapsafe and cycle.

I also have a Fluval 2 plus pump. I don't think it comes with carbon but I do change the filter pads each water change and wash the large open foam sponges in the old water the tank before putting it back.

I'll go feed Blue the peas.

Thanks for advice - hope he revives!!!

Juddlin xxx

please excuse spelling - I have a very interested cat on my laptop wanting some kitty attention!
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Image Admin Caresheets Moderators Advisers
  • Posted on: 1/10/2006 18:53
Re: Poorly Blue Oranda going belly up! Help please? #4
Hi there Noticed you used Methylene Blue in your tank and thought I should warn you this medication will kill off your good filter bacteria so have you checked your water readings recently to make sure, although I would recommend testing the water yourself as then you will know everything is ok or not as the case may be

Edit: deleted my original reply sorry
juddlin juddlin
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Lancashire
  • Posted on: 1/10/2006 19:05
Re: Poorly Blue Oranda going belly up! Help please? #5
Hello Goldy,

The Fluval 2 Plus comes with 2 permanent sponges which I clean in the waste water from the partial change then put them back in the pump. The same with the Black carbon pads I replace these intermediately once every few changes. I change the polyester fliter pads every water change as they have usually quite disintergrated and I was recommended to by my local Aquarium shop.

I have fed Blue the peas and he seems interested in them but hasn't actually eaten any.

Would his cloudy eyes be in indiction to somenthing?

Just out of interest, my friend bought a fish a 5 years back, not a fancy type just a normal common or garden goldfish. He came home from work and found him on his side gasping and looking in a state, he crushed up an asprin and sprinkled it in and revived the little fella - he's now 5 inches long and like a monster! He even goes mad when he comes in from work, jumping out of the tank sometimes landing on the floor, he doesn't really behave like a goldfish. I'm not recommending putting asprin in your tank for poorly fish, but has anyone heard of anything like it before?

Juddlin xxx

PS - I had no idea about the Blue Stuff (sorry can't spell) what should I do to combat the effect, as you know I add cycle, will this be enough? I am just about to buy a water kit online. Could you recommend one?
WickedFishie WickedFishie
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From London
  • Posted on: 1/10/2006 22:25
Re: Poorly Blue Oranda going belly up! Help please? #6
Theres actually Filter Media for the Fluvals? I was just at the petstore, and all we have are carbon pads. I was so angry trying to find something that would actually HOLD the poo and such. *sigh* Stupid pet store.

One Fish, Two Fish..
Red Fish, Blue Fish!
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Image Admin Caresheets Moderators Advisers
  • Posted on: 2/10/2006 9:26
Re: Poorly Blue Oranda going belly up! Help please? #7
As you use the carbon pads they will remove the Methylene blue or any treatment as they are made for this, so if you need to treat for anything always best to remove the carbon pads ok
as for your friend using asprin cant say really although have heard of feeding codliver oil and stuff to goldfish for constipation so its possible asprin is ok "not recommending this though" your fish having cloudy eyes is not a good sign and this can be down to water conditions

Water tests: The Nutrafin ones are easy to use, also 5in1 test strips if you are not that confidant to start with, but you will need a seperate test for ammonia as the strips dont test for this

Here you go all on here

http://www.stm-shop.co.uk/acatalog/On ... talogue_Test_Kits_25.html