Blurboy Blurboy
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Staffordshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 1/10/2006 11:58
Filtration for new fish/invert tank #1
I'm just in the throws of putting together all that is required for a new fish/Invert tank. I'm setting up a 4x2x2 tank running a Red Sea Prizim Skimmer/Aracadia T5 light set plus some form of filtration. I was thinking of using 2 Fluval 305's but need some advice on a) are they good enough and b) the media for each one. I also intend to fit some power-heads for water movement in the tank to prevent any dead spots occuring. I have access to RO water if that helps with my question. I don't intend keeping any difficult species of fish or invert but my pasy knowledge and experience helped me keep a Pakistani Butterfly fish for many years and I know they were difficult to keep but mine thrived so I must have been doing something right. If anyone can point me in the right directions with reading matter that would be greatfully appreciated too. Cheers.
P Hadgett
TheDragonLord TheDragonLord
  • Pond Adviser
  • Pond  Adviser
  • From West Midlands
  • Group: Registered Users Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 1/10/2006 17:01
Re: Filtration for new fish/invert tank #2
i'd only have one external filter and i'd use it for mechanical (crap removal) and chemical (removal of chemicals etc buy carbon, nitrate removers or phosphate removers etc)

i'd use poly pads to do the mechanical stuff and just rinse them under the tap to keep them from going biological as you want the live rock to be the biological filtration

under T5's you wont be able to keep most corals really, mainly mushrooms etc
There are no experts, mearly beginners who know more than others.

Support your LFS, online sites won't stay open 5 mins extra for you
flameangel flameangel
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Wiltshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 1/10/2006 20:28
Re: Filtration for new fish/invert tank #3
You can use 2 filters, but may not need to. We had 2 filters on our set up and only run with one Fluval now, only because the second one broke. We may still end up with 2 again at some point. I agree with Dragonlord though re. the rest.
  • Pond Adviser
  • Pond  Adviser
  • From West Midlands
  • Posted on: 1/10/2006 20:43
Re: Filtration for new fish/invert tank #4
i just dont see the point spending money on buying and running 2 filters to do the job that one of them could do, especially as its not even biological filtration (so a 205 could do the job fine

flameangel flameangel
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Wiltshire
  • Posted on: 1/10/2006 21:05
Re: Filtration for new fish/invert tank #5
no that's fine,we didn't spend the money on 2 when we set up our marine, we had 2 anyway, so used them to run different things, thats' all. We are only using one fluval 405 now.
  • Pond Adviser
  • Pond  Adviser
  • From West Midlands
  • Posted on: 1/10/2006 21:57
Re: Filtration for new fish/invert tank #6
fair enough

you could also add inline fluidized filters for the chemical things, you can add as many as you like, or you could whack 2 or 3 onto your filters outlet tube (returning water to tank) so it flows through them on its way back into the tank so they stay clean as well

like if you buy an empty one you could fill it with anything, best used for chemical filtration things, like carbon etc, i'd personally try filling it 3/4 of the way so the carbon can more round in the current, it cant be powder or very fine as it'd be washed out, large granules would be fine though

Here!

Deuce Deuce
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 6/10/2006 21:28
Re: Filtration for new fish/invert tank #7
I'm a big fan of skimmers! The bigger the better in my opinion. Many aquarists claim overskimming removes important supplements and trace elements but personally I would rather add these more frequently and remove all the crap as quickly as possible. It's an easier life and the easier you make your tank to look after the more patient you will become at the hobby.

The winning formula is powerful skimming, plenty of flow, lots of live rock and frequent small water changes. One thing overlooked by most reef keepers is water changing frequency. Synthetic salt conatins all sorts of trace chemicals which only remain available for a short time once oxidised. Therefore frequent changes with fresh salt water makes a big difference to invert health and growth.

Finally fitting a spraybar within your rockwork will save you hassle in the long term. Slow flow areas can build up sediment which will rot and eventually turn the local water acidic, when this happens areas of liverock die back and you will struggle to maintain PH. This only happens on very established tanks but it is avoidable with flow in all areas.

flameangel flameangel
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Wiltshire
  • Posted on: 6/10/2006 22:21
Re: Filtration for new fish/invert tank #8
I am a skimmer fan too. We do a change about once a month as it is a big tank, but I add all-in-one reef suppliment for the corals and inverts once a week, to replcae some of the trace elements in the mean time. I may do an additional water change depending on cirmcumstances in the aquarium if you know what I mean.