(1) 2 »
Fancytail Fancytail
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Mid Glamorgan
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 28/9/2006 14:08
Advice needed asap #1
ok, may take a while.....1 of our tanks is definitely too small for the occupiers.we have a 21ltr with 4 single tails approx 1-2" (slap on the wrists i know, but i had no experience when we bought them!)Goldfish are looking quite sad and cramped and my bro had his appendix go and bust on him sunday so he is quite ill and hasnt been able to sort out his fish.Cant have a new tank until christmas coz he's 14 and cant afford it2b frank.
we also have these tropical tanks: 23ltr with 4 male guppies & 1 peppered cory (Matts tank)
23ltr with 3 female guppies, 1 baby guppy in breeding unit & 1 peppered cory. (My tank)

Could i....
Empty the fish from his 23ltr in 2 my 23ltr
transfer 2 out of 4 goldfish in to the newly emptied 23ltr
obviously minus the thermostat.
empty the 23ltr completely, clean everything in it, fill with half the water from 21ltr, top up the 21ltr treating it as a big water change and then add cycle to the 23ltr to mature it..... (Take a breath)
Please help as im as confused as u may be after reading this post!!!!
Fishy-Fishy Fishy-Fishy
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Moderators Advisers FK Supporter Deep End
  • Posted on: 28/9/2006 15:04
Re: Advice needed asap #2
Do you mean put all those trops into one tank? Because your tropical tanks sound overstocked already. Sorry :(
Fancytail Fancytail
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Mid Glamorgan
  • Posted on: 28/9/2006 15:07
Re: Advice needed asap #3
It is overstocked but i thought it may be better to have an over stocked tank with little guppies than one, 2ltr's smaller with big singletails.
Fancytail Fancytail
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Mid Glamorgan
  • Posted on: 28/9/2006 15:24
Re: Advice needed asap #4
I am aware that my tanks are overstocked, but without giving them away, and with not having the room to rehouse them, what can i do? My cousin Gareth has a very big fishtank but he has loaches (don't know what kind) that are 10" long, 2 plecs that have grown from 1" to 8", jack demseys, and another type of fish i cant remember the name of. I would give some of my tropicals to him but they are about 7" smaller than anything else in the tank and i'm scared they'll eat them. He's not too keen on adding new fish neither. It's a lovely tank though...
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Advisers Registered Users
  • Posted on: 28/9/2006 15:49
Re: Advice needed asap #5
you are kind of right, and although not going to be 'ideal' you can juggle them a bit to giv them the best with what you have. so you have 3 mature tanks- 2 23 ltr tanks and 1 21ltr tank? 4 goldfish, 7/8 guppies and 2 corys.
for now, which is what i think you meant, put 2 goldfish in each of the 23ltr tanks ans the trops in the 21ltr tank. dont bother emptying or cleaning or anyhting like that, you will more than likely just upset the bacteria levels, and cause more problems. just move the heater to the tank for the trops and do a part water change with sum a couple of kettle fulls of hot water) (obviousley while theres no fish in there!)
as you may know, the four singletails need 10 gallons each, so a 40 gallon tank, or two 20 gallons at least, and your trops would be better in 10 gallon tank, so you will need to think about getting some new tanks fairly soon, try ebay!
Gill

Resized Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...
TheDragonLord TheDragonLord
  • Pond Adviser
  • Pond  Adviser
  • From West Midlands
  • Group: Registered Users Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 28/9/2006 17:26
Re: Advice needed asap #6
1L of freshly boiled water will warm up 9L of cold tap water IME so you could do a 50% water change if you wanted to reduce any levels of nitrate etc
There are no experts, mearly beginners who know more than others.

Support your LFS, online sites won't stay open 5 mins extra for you
SnailTrail SnailTrail
  • Freshwater Inverts Adviser
  • Freshwater Inverts Adviser
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 28/9/2006 19:16
Re: Advice needed asap #7
You could also ask on freecycle.org for tanks.
Resized Image
Fancytail Fancytail
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Mid Glamorgan
  • Posted on: 29/9/2006 9:19
Re: Advice needed asap #8
thanks guys, i do have another two coldwater tanks but they are homes to tiny oranda, and a fantail so i didnt want to disturb them. Even when we do have new tanks, we aren't allowed any bigger than a 60-70 odd litre coz we are pushed for space, plus my mam dont want none, you know "My house, my rules...." and my one will have my fantail in it coz he's growing so quickly.
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Advisers Registered Users
  • Posted on: 29/9/2006 9:35
Re: Advice needed asap #9
maybe you should consider rehoming them, to be fair to the fish more than anything, dont want to go on, but they really wont grow to their full size or live as long as they should in small tanks. its a shame as they are your pets, but would be for the best if you arent allowed tanks big enough for them.
Gill

Resized Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...
Fancytail Fancytail
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Mid Glamorgan
  • Posted on: 1/10/2006 13:48
Re: Advice needed asap #10
I have considered this many a time but i have no where to put them. My local pet shop wont take them for fear of contaminating his tanks, every one i know with a tank has a perfect balance and wont take mine aswell. My fancytail is getting a new home for christmas probably a 60-70litre, and my mother has now agreed to get a bigger tank for the singletails but not until xmas and i dont know what size.