(1) 2 3 4 »
m18rta m18rta
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Aberdeenshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 28/9/2006 13:49
Right going to the shops on saturday #1
Folks, Hello it's me again.....Im going to one of the highly recommended places in Aberdeen for things for the tank on Saturday.
What can people advise me to have ready for me getting new fish in the next month....For example...Stress Zyme, SALT????
Remember I have the 30 litre Biorb.
Eddie_Mars Eddie_Mars
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 28/9/2006 17:13
Re: Right going to the shops on saturday #2
I suppose you already know what this forum thinks about Biorbs so I'll leave it at that.
Now, as for water conditioning, I have always used A.P.I. products and have had no problems with them.
Stress Coat removes chlorine, neutralises chloramines, and also has Aloe Vera in it to spruce up the fishes "slime" coat.
Stress Zyme has millions of the "beneficial bacteria" in it to help keep the denitrification processes sweet.
Don't forget that you add these products to the water BEFORE you add the water to the tank.
As for salt there are two schools of thought here. If you look on the Internet you will find about a 50/50 split on opinion as to the benefits (or not) of using aquarium salt in a freshwater set up.
Personally, I only use salt as a tonic or treatment for illness when required which has only been once in nearly a year. So it's up to you really to make that decision. Good luck!

Edited to add...
You'll need some means of testing your water too if you've not already got one. I use A.P.I.'s Master Test Kit which I reckon is the dogs thingys. It's a tad expensive but super accurate and lasts a long time.
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Advisers Registered Users
  • Posted on: 28/9/2006 17:26
Re: Right going to the shops on saturday #3
use api water conditoner myself. but there are also differeing opions n whether stress zyme and stress coat are beneficial or not. IMO they are a waste of money. stress coat is good when you have poorly fish and there mucus coat may be damaged , but not to use all the time, it could build up too much on the fishes gills which would cause them breathing difficulty. stress zyme is enzymes which help to break down waste rather than the actual bacteria that you need. you dont need to add additives fish will be perfectly happy /healthy with water kept clean and good diet.
i would get some aquarium salt and some plants, but dont get any with roots that need planting, they will not do well in the biorb, get some smalish pieces of bogwood and java fern, if you cant find any i can squeeze a couple more cuttings out of mine im sure! just pm ur address if you would like some.
Gill

Resized Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...
TheDragonLord TheDragonLord
  • Pond Adviser
  • Pond  Adviser
  • From West Midlands
  • Group: Registered Users Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 28/9/2006 17:29
Re: Right going to the shops on saturday #4
personally i dont think bi-orbs are all that bad, but thats sommat else

what have you got atm other than the biorb?
There are no experts, mearly beginners who know more than others.

Support your LFS, online sites won't stay open 5 mins extra for you
Fishy-Fishy Fishy-Fishy
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Moderators Advisers FK Supporter Deep End
  • Posted on: 28/9/2006 18:10
Re: Right going to the shops on saturday #5
Biorbs are OK for small tetras etc but rubbish for most kinds of fish, and the instructions tell you to use fish to cycle and only change the water every 1-2 months.

Anyways. I would get a bottle of Esha 2000 as it covers a wide range of different diseases. It's good to have some kind of medication for emergencies.
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Moderators Registered Users Advisers FK Supporter Caresheets Image Admin
  • Posted on: 28/9/2006 19:14
Re: Right going to the shops on saturday #6
i would get another pack of the biorb substrate so you can add some more, increase the amount of biological filtration.
SnailTrail SnailTrail
  • Freshwater Inverts Adviser
  • Freshwater Inverts Adviser
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 28/9/2006 19:22
Re: Right going to the shops on saturday #7
If you're using aquarium salt there are species of fish and inverts which can't tolerate it....same goes for the copper in some fish meds.
Make sure you research whatever fish you're planning on buying before going to the shop to avoid unsuitable impulse buys or being misinformed by the lfs.
Resized Image
m18rta m18rta
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Aberdeenshire
  • Posted on: 28/9/2006 21:21
Re: Right going to the shops on saturday #8
Oh gosh....Everyone is so helpfull. I started to cry whenI read Gills entry about sending me some clippings...Thanks Gill I will send you my address.
I want to make sure I do everything right this time. I thought I was all along.Right bellow is a list of the treatments I have so please advise which to throw away.

I have the full £20 freshwater matser test kit

Interpet...Aquarium treatment....Fresh start
Interpet...Aquarium treatment....Liquisil general tonic
Interpet...Aquarium treatment....Swimbladder treatment
King British.......Revitalister tonic
King British.......Methylene blue
King British.......Bacteria control
Interpet.....Gold fish safe.

I know i probably have double of things, but what is the best things on the market at the moment?

Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Image Admin Caresheets Moderators Advisers
  • Posted on: 28/9/2006 21:40
Re: Right going to the shops on saturday #9
Liquisil is a good tonic to use although if you have carbon in your filter it will remove the liquisil
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Advisers Registered Users
  • Posted on: 29/9/2006 9:30
Re: Right going to the shops on saturday #10
ah bless ya!
no dont throw any of those things away! all good things to have, just when its the right time to use them. methylene blue tho should never be added to your main tank, its harmful to the filter bacteria and will stain eveything blue! only use it in a hospital tank.
Gill

Resized Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...