Kristie Kristie
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Isle of Bute
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 10/11/2004 13:14
Community Tank/New fish #1
Further to my posts re my sick fish and current tank problems, my mate (who used to work in a pet shop but is no expert) reckons it's a bad Idea to add new fish.
But you're always going to lose fish at some point - if only through old age? Obviously disease is always a risk when adding new fish, especially when, like me you don't have another 'quarantine tank'
Might invest in one but at the mo don't have the space or money to buy and upkeep all the equipment all over again!
Anyway, she said that my new fish are probably the cause. so how often do you get new fish? and how do you choose?
I was advised against cichlids for a community tank, but angelfish are cichlids aren't they?? also, I was told they're territorial, but I have read the contrary - that they tend to be bullied - is that true? I bought a small firemouth, and keyhole cichlid. My fav fish are discus, but they need a species tank don't they? I choose my fish for their personality/behavioural attributes, colour, potential size considered, suitability for community tank, and price! in that order.
also, I bought some freeze dried worm blocks in a tub, tubiflex that was it, but they didnt like at all!
what's a good treat for them? Sorry for all these questions!!

Kristie - 6 ferrets 2 birdies and some little fishies!
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Image Admin Caresheets Moderators Advisers
  • Posted on: 10/11/2004 16:21
Anonymous  
Re: Community Tank/New fish #3
yea angels are territorial and nip other fish, cichlids really need a tank of there own, and angels are a type of that breed, adding new fish will no only increase your chances of diesese if they are infected and you have no quarantine tank they will also put a strain of your filter to cope with extra waste until the helpful bacteria catch up, you seem to like the agressive fish, why dont you get some angel and rams go nice with your cichlid and firemouth. you could try bloodworm or daphnia as a treat for your fish, i use both of those from time to time. di
hazzy hazzy
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Nottinghamshire
  • Posted on: 10/11/2004 22:18
Re: Community Tank/New fish #4
hi-if you are considering rams go for the BOLIVIAN ram to start off with as the BLUE (czech) rams at the moment comming into the uk are not very good and only lasting a few weeks-the bolivian are one of the easyer type to keep max out at around 3inch-picy of one in tropical photos

juat as i find it

take care brian
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Image Admin Caresheets Moderators Advisers
  • Posted on: 12/11/2004 10:09
Re: Community Tank/New fish #5
Before you even think about getting anymore fish you should get your tank biologically stable first and then possibly get a larger tank as you have more than enough in the one you have already
Kristie Kristie
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Isle of Bute
  • Posted on: 12/11/2004 13:32
Re: Community Tank/New fish #6
Yes, sorry, I am not planning on getting any more any time soon! I was just wondering from a general sense, for future reference.
Kristie - 6 ferrets 2 birdies and some little fishies!