flameangel flameangel
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Wiltshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 2/9/2006 17:50
hermit crab in new shell #1
We went to Exmouth the other week and brought back some shells for both of our tnaks. Some for decoration to look more realistic and some smaller ones for the hermit crabs to live in. We didn't realise that some of the smaller shells actually had snails still in them when we put them in the tank. Some are still alive I think. The funniest thing is, alive or not, 2 of our hermits were desperate to move house and would not accept the squatters rights excuse!

This is a pic of one crab in his new home (having evicted a certain guest) and the shell also has little barnicle things on it which are actually still alive!
Original Image
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Moderators Caresheets Image Admin Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 2/9/2006 17:54
Re: hermit crab in new shell #2
Well I never bet you are constantly watching your tank for the different things that happen as I know I would
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Advisers Registered Users
  • Posted on: 2/9/2006 17:54
Re: hermit crab in new shell #3
poor snail! nevermind tho, its so funny watching hermits pick new homes! if theres too many to choose from im sure they develop a shell fetish, the imelda markos's of the marine world!
Gill

Original Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...
flameangel flameangel
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Wiltshire
  • Posted on: 2/9/2006 18:28
Re: hermit crab in new shell #4
must admit we put some lovely big shells in and watched 2 or 3 crabs bustle around it. It was clearly too big for any of them but the thought of a houseshare made me laugh. Or would it have been a caravan with them taking it in turns to tow
Anonymous  
Re: hermit crab in new shell #5
i have all this in front off me cant wait, i wont be able to take my eyes of the tank .arrrrrrrrrrrrrrhhhh hurry up and cycle you tank you
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Advisers Registered Users
  • Posted on: 2/9/2006 18:32
Re: hermit crab in new shell #6
lol!
Gill

Original Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...
burkey burkey
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 9/9/2006 10:24
Re: hermit crab in new shell #7
if you wanna put soe hermits in they should be fine they dont case much waste so long as your not using ammonia to cycle the tank you would be fine adding a couple after a few days.
voycey voycey
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Midlands
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 9/9/2006 12:45
Re: hermit crab in new shell #8
i found my hermits shell empty and cant find him anywhere - how long can they live without a shell?
flameangel flameangel
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Wiltshire
  • Posted on: 9/9/2006 19:24
Re: hermit crab in new shell #9
Not sure. He could have come out of his shell to move in to a bigger one (if you have one) and got side tracked so hid out the way? The other possibility is he has been eaten? They tend to move house at night when it is safer. Fingers crossed he turns up, and hopefully with a new home on his back