(1) 2 3 4 »
Anonymous  
live rock #1
is the amount of live rock you have in your tank dictated by water volume or by stocking levels
flameangel flameangel
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Wiltshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 31/8/2006 19:20
Re: live rock #2
I always thought it was ratio to water volume. I'm sure there is some info on live rock to read somewhere on this section?
imblindio imblindio
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Avon
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 31/8/2006 20:17
Re: live rock #3
i posted a similar question on that live rock section but no-one has answered yet. maybe the stickies do not get noticed as much
flameangel flameangel
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Wiltshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 31/8/2006 21:16
Re: live rock #4
1kg of rock per gallon of water is what you should go for,so I understand. We didn't measure our living rock we just bought sacks of the stuff and put it in, but added ocean rock (not living rock) to bulk it out, which is cheaper. I'm hoping Dragonlord will see this post so he can confirm the amounts needed ok
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Advisers Registered Users
  • Posted on: 1/9/2006 8:55
Re: live rock #5
1kg/2lb per gallon is the minimum you should have, but you can have more than that which will increase the amount of 'filtration' possible, but only when you have enough water flow to get the water around all the rock, you should make sure theres room for water circulation between the pieces. having more rock will allow you to have higher level of stock but again only if the water flow is enough to make use of all the rock.
Gill

Original Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...
voycey voycey
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Midlands
  • Posted on: 1/9/2006 9:28
Re: live rock #6
haha im no where near that amount!!

then again not going to have it stocked at all heavily!
Im thinking that I am probably going to get some bio balls for my sump as there is no way im going to fit 18kg of live rock in my tank - there wouldnt be much room for anything - that way I will at least get the surface area for bacteria to colonise :)
burkey burkey
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Posted on: 1/9/2006 12:26
Re: live rock #7
it can be done at 1-2 lbs a gallon (so say a 100 gallon tank try and get 70-100 kilos)

your stocking amount is dictated by weater volume to though with all the rock bigger fish would obviously have to be given a miss.
Anonymous  
Re: live rock #8
ah but say you wanted a fish only setup with lets say a lion fish and maybe one other fish surely you wouldnt need so much rock for filtration which leads me back to my first question. i have also heard that if you use different type of rock you dont need as much of it eg fiji rock is more pourous so you only need 1kg to filter 8 liters has anyone else seen this. i read it on a web site somewhere cant remember where.
burkey burkey
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Posted on: 1/9/2006 16:06
Re: live rock #9
indonesian rock is more porous and its not like that.
Anonymous  
Re: live rock #10
Quote:

burkey wrote:
indonesian rock is more porous and its not like that.

? and its not like what ?

i was using it as an example ,but i do remember reading somewhere they do have different Filtration coefficients and i belive this to be true .if one rock is mure pourous than another then it is bound to be better at filtration is it not ,maybe not much but better all the same.