(1) 2 3 »
catch22 catch22
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From United States
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 23/8/2006 14:47
Shubunkin is sick #1
Please help. I know nothing of fish and my Shubunkin is very sick. The other 26 koi are fine. He ate last tuesday and just yesterday started to lie on his side. He is swimming when prodded but I'm very worried about him. I checked him for other problems but I can't see anything. There are no doctors near by that I can take him to. I just bought this house and it came with a pond outside. It was already stocked. It is about 5 years old I suppose and no new fish have been added. They are fed once a week with Ichiban and there are no additives to their water. There is a large filter that jets the water up to the top of the waterfall and then cascades down. I just added a small pump to the pond 3 weeks ago just to add some more oxygen. Please help. Catch 22
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Moderators Caresheets Image Admin Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 23/8/2006 14:54
Re: Shubunkin is sick #2
Hi there A few questions first if you don't mind, can you tell us how big the pond is and if you test the water at all, you say there are 26 koi "that is a lot of fish" so take it the pond is a good size, as for the shubunkin it could be anything "possibly water related" so if you can let us know the readings then we can go from there
catch22 catch22
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From United States
  • Posted on: 23/8/2006 15:12
Re: Shubunkin is sick #3
Thank you so much. The pond is 7ft by 5 ft, and about 3 ft deep. I have never tested the water and the previous owner told me that it wouldn't be needed. The koi are all small except for two small-medium sized fish. I had a problem with a leak two months ago and lost about 7 inches per day. (Depending on how humid it was as I've just moved to GA.) I fixed the leak which was happening in the waterfall section. I laid down new plastic and river rock which were both cleaned before installing. The koi are perfect. They just ate yesterday and are high speed as usual. Only the Shubunkin is showing any signs of being ill. The only thing I can tell you about the water is that because of the humidity the pond loses an inch a day from humidity that I fill up with the hose. You are prob cringing right now. sorry.
sparkysbigbro sparkysbigbro
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Wiltshire
  • Posted on: 23/8/2006 15:14
Re: Shubunkin is sick #4
the only thing u did wrong is use chlourinated water just add dechlorinater and u will be fine the shubunkin still a mystery though
catch22 catch22
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From United States
  • Posted on: 23/8/2006 15:24
Re: Shubunkin is sick #5
Could it be swim-bladder? Should I get some epsom salt and put spot into it? I don't know what to do. I hate watching him suffer. j
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 23/8/2006 15:27
Re: Shubunkin is sick #6
I would recommend testing the water as this can tell you loads, you can even take a sample to your local fish store and they will possibly test it for you for free "best ask though as they do here" also how warm is it there at the moment as this could be a factor it would just be a guess at the moment, but if you can I would remove the shubunkin into a bucket "for now" and add some pond/aquarium salt and see if it bucks up any also as sparky suggested always good to dechlorinate tap water before adding to your pond "depending on your tap water" or filling a large tub and leaving it for about 24 hours so that the chlorine can disipate before adding it to the pond, although a little water straight from the tap shouldn't harm the fish
catch22 catch22
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From United States
  • Posted on: 23/8/2006 15:33
Re: Shubunkin is sick #7
I'll see if they do that. This is America after so I'll prob be charged $24.99 to do it. Oh well. I'll get some dechlorinator from the fish store and see if they have some salts. The site I was on said Epsom salt. 700g per L, for 5 min. Something about digestion. Does that sound right? J
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 23/8/2006 15:38
Re: Shubunkin is sick #8
Epsom salts is good if it is food related swimbladder, but this is more common in fancies not single tails so wouldn't think it is down to that when the shubunkin swims does it float
catch22 catch22
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From United States
  • Posted on: 23/8/2006 15:42
Re: Shubunkin is sick #9
It doesn't swim unless I prod at it. I keep thinking it is dead. It floats sometimes not moving or it swims to the bottom and stays there not moving.
WickedFishie WickedFishie
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From London
  • Posted on: 23/8/2006 15:45
Re: Shubunkin is sick #10
Quote:

catch22 wrote:
I'll see if they do that. This is America

Yes! Another american!

Try Peas.