• Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 4/4/2004 11:12
Vertical Red Cap Oranda #1
Hello again

just another little question.

I have a very very small Oranda in my tank, who always seems to be face down and vertical when he is not swimming.

I have never seen this before. My sister has 3 orandas which were bought at the same time as mine from the same shop and none of hers do this.
But in comparison to her fish, mine is kind of sausage shaped but hers are tear drop shaped, taping off towards the tail. Mine is much rounder.
He does not eat a lot and the other fish don't seem to bother with him at all

Why does he go vertical when he is not swimming?
marcshedden marcshedden
  • From Avon
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 4/4/2004 18:11
Re: Vertical Red Cap Oranda #2
This sounds to me like a gas build-up in the gut. This would be likely to counteract the effect of the swim bladder, which usually ensures that the fish stays upright. However, in Fancy Goldfish such as orandas, the swim bladder is notoriously too small for the body (due to inbreeding), so is ineffective when the gut contains any appreciable amount of gas. Usually, the gas is either a result of an internal infection (treatable with a specific remedy available at your local fish shop) or simply taking in air at the surface with floating flake food. If you are feeding flake, try releasing it underwater so that the fish does not have to gulp air.
Good luck!
lseaton lseaton
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 6/4/2004 9:35
Re: Vertical Red Cap Oranda #3
Thanks very much!!
My Oranda must be very full of gas, he is such a funny shape-like a capsule.

I have had to feed the tiny fish underwater, as he is so tiny he can't fit even crumbs of flakes in his mouth. He likes to nip at the flakes i dangle in my fingers. He is quite friendly.

My mum noticed a very strange thing though, my Lionhead who is a giant compared to the Oranda keeps slowly & gently lowering itself over the Oranda and righting its position in the water - like it's trying to help!