purdey purdey
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 22/5/2006 9:02
Any advise? #1
HI
Any advise anyone can give me would be gratefully accepted, Husband (bless him) built a pond when we moved in we had a hole in the ground which was either overflowing or nearly empty, so a large hole was dug (and it just kept getting bigger) we now have a fully lined rectangular pond (with rounded edges so a large oval) 8 metres long 4 metres wide and 0.9 metres deep we have a green genie 28000 and the pond is aerated. I am having trouble establishing any new plants I don't know whether it is because the fish eat them, (there are about 50 fish, a mixture of goldies, shubunkins a couple of ghost carp and some brown ones which the pet shop/aquatic centre told me are grass carp crossed with gold fish he said they would breed and they have!!!) or they just won't grow the trouble is the pond is in the sun most of the day and I know I need plants to shade the pond as even with the filter and UV running full time the pond is green. It is only possible to see about 2 inches below the surface.
I have been on various web sites (I got advise about high Ph which in fact wasn't actually that bad,) the guy suggested aerating, which I have done, I seem to just keep throwing money at the pond without getting the result I want which is cleaner water and some plant life Help!!!
Joy
RitaB RitaB
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Lincolnshire
  • Posted on: 22/5/2006 9:22
Re: Any advise? #2
What plants do you have or trying to grow?
You need some floating plants to give some shade, such as water lilies, frogbit, floating heart and azolla.
Grass carp are vegetarians - I expect they have been eating your plants.
It isn't unusual for ponds to be green in the spring.
How old is your pond?
IMO ponds only need aerating during hot weather particularly at night.
Have you tried something like this to clear the water?
http://www.aquatics-online.co.uk/Z174346.asp#product1123
seanmckinney seanmckinney
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From County Antrim
  • Posted on: 22/5/2006 10:47
Re: Any advise? #3
Unless there is something odd happening I too would suspect fish are eating your plants. Some of the americans cage their plants, either individually or in groups, in fish/koi proof enclosures. I would be inclined to try growing the plants 'on' in trugs and buckets before putting them in the pond however I dont know if thet would work. If you have an aquatic snail populattion and there is no decaying plant matter in the pond then snails will seemingly eat live plant material but it is my experience that they much prefer decaying plant material.
purdey purdey
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 22/5/2006 11:11
Re: Any advise? #4
Thanks for the replys. The pond is now in its second year, I have at the moment three lilies,(one with several leaves the others have 3/4 leaves so I hope they are going to grow, a couple of water hawthorm which had leaves and flowers, some water buttercup and two other oxygenating plants which are down to stalks!!! What does IMO stand forand why do I only need to oxygenate in hot weather? The guy at the centre said that with a pond this size with only a small waterfall that I would need to get some oxygen in there to help the fish and I must admit they have been a lot more active from what I can see since the oxygen went in. I did try something similar to clear the pond it took about two weeks to clear and then it started to go green again almost straight away and because of the size of the pond it cost about £25.I think there are snails in the water as some went in when we transferred from the old pond I will be very surprised if there isn't enough stuff on the bottom as although I try to get all the debris out again because of the size it is impossible. the plants are obviously just expensive fish food!!!!
Joy
flameangel flameangel
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Wiltshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 22/5/2006 12:00
Re: Any advise? #5
HI,
IMO stands for In my opinion. IME would stand for in my experience.

Ok, You have a lovely sized pond. We swear by good filtration for our pond with a UV light built in (not just a pump etc) and bought one over sized for the pond capacity to keep the water free from green and with clear water all year round.
Yes, it would be greener at this time of year - the winter murky look!
Yes, a hot sunny location would encourage more green to grow and providing shade is also a good idea, as already recommended. Koi will nibble plant leaves. They are known for pulling plants out of their pots I'm afraid, just as they start to grow. They tend to leave things alone one they plant gets quite big.

Another suggestion is to start planting up the outside of the pond to provide shade. We have had to do this as our pond is in a south facing garden and without the plants boy it would be too hot for them.
We have used tall grasses and phormiums and as the sun moves they cast shadows in the pond, enough to provide shelter. The shady areas also grow less green algae?
Our pond photos are in the gallery if you want some kind of idea.

There are some pretty variegated pond plants (marginals) that could be kept in pots just below the water surface, (so the fish can't get in the baskets to eat anything) and they would grow across the pond. If they go wild, just pull what you don't want back off the pond? They all die back in the winter anyway.
purdey purdey
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 22/5/2006 12:22
Re: Any advise? #6
Thanks your pond looks great, we have a green genie 28000 filter with UV but the water still comes out of the filter green which is something I don't understand as the UV is supposed to kill all the green off isn't it? I have got some marginals, a lovely Arum lily which is starting to grow now and some blue irises, again they are shooting now. Am I perhaps expecting to much as it is still early in the season and I understand the algae are the first to become active? I am going to buy some Floaters (I really like the water hyacynths) as soon as they come into the shops. Which marginals will grow across the pond as the book I have doesn't have any that spread? At the moment OH is creating the conservatory then we will get started on the garden.
flameangel flameangel
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Wiltshire
  • Posted on: 22/5/2006 12:35
Re: Any advise? #7
UUmm? ok, not sure on the capacity of that filter? is it big enough for your pond? also is the UV working?

The photos attached are of 2 plants we have. Taken about 5 minutes ago!
The variegated one is mounted in its basket just below the water surface. Actually I have put the photo on sideways?It is just starting to grow. It grows upright to start with and then drapes over on to the water. Can't remember the name but with this picture you will spot it a mile off in a garden centre.
The other is just a clump of loose weed that floats about. It looks a mess but grows more tiny leaves over the season. If it ever gets too much just pull it out and throw it away. Good for shelter though.
Resized Image

Resized Image
purdey purdey
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 22/5/2006 12:48
Re: Any advise? #8
Like the look of the varigated one, I think the other is water milfoil which I havn't been able to get locally yet,I will be off to the garden centre on my way back from the dreaded Asda trip so will see what I can find today. The Uv has just had a new bulb in just in case and is definataly working the filter is supposed to be up to 28000 litre capacity and we have approximately 22000 ltrs so it should be fine. I think I might have just found the varigated one in my book possibly Houttuynia (does that sound familiar) it does say it can be invasive so must be planted in a pot
flameangel flameangel
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Wiltshire
  • Posted on: 22/5/2006 17:32
Re: Any advise? #9
I will have a look on the internet for your filter. Martin will also have a look. Yes you got the right plant name.
Martin also verifies that grass carp are cows of the fish world and they will be the main ones responsible for the plant loss, hence the suggestion of marginals raised up on bricks so their baskets cannot be ented by the carp, but the roots are still in the water.
Martin also wants to know the exact layout of you filter (inside) and is the UV built in to the filter or is it a separate unit on a spearate pump? Actually I will find a pic of the 28000 so we can answer some questions.
Also the filter and pump need to be in the right place in the pond eg not close together. You have the pump one end and the filter the other to encourage a flow in the pond.
If close together it will only clear that area of the pond.
Martin also suggests that the pump itself may not be strong enough to pump the full volume of water of your pond, even if the filter is big enough. It needs to be powerful enough to move everything not just one area of water, hence why your pond is still looking like pea soup?

flameangel flameangel
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Wiltshire
  • Posted on: 22/5/2006 17:39
Re: Any advise? #10
Ok, more info for you. We have had a look at the green Genie range and Martin is adament that they are not man enough for the job, cpacity or not. May not be want you want to hear, but we had a similar designed filter and they clog up very very quickly. If you open yours now it is probably solid inside with gunk?
He recommends for a pond your size a filter like the one shown in the photo gallery? Much easier to clean and keep the pond clear.
He is also concerned about the pump you are using to run it all? If you can let us know more info we can maybe help more.
I'm sure Martin would happily discuss it on the phone with you if it would be easier. If so PM me and I wil arrange it.