(1) 2 »
lilyjoy lilyjoy
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Nottinghamshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 17/5/2006 10:54
3 DEAD FISH.......... #1
We have had our pond set up about 6 weeks now.2 weeks ago we bought 2 grass carp,within a week 1 had died.We took it back to the supplier,with a water sample,he said the sample was fine and it was just the luck of the draw.We had another grass carp,and 5 goldfish.In a week 2 gold fish have died.One had a bloody patch on his side.Also noticed that another has got a tiny black mark on his tail.Is this just markings or is there somthing wrong.
Our pond size is 475 litres.We have 2 water lilys,1 iris,10 oxeygenators,4 water hyathinths.What should we do? Lisa
Fishy-Fishy Fishy-Fishy
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From -
  • Group: FK Supporter Advisers Moderators Registered Users Deep End
  • Posted on: 17/5/2006 11:09
Re: 3 DEAD FISH.......... #2
Hmm, the black marks sound like they could be ammonia burns which would mean the water quality is not fine at all. Do you know the exact readings? Also, where did you get the fish from? Sorry you've had such bad luck
lilyjoy lilyjoy
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Nottinghamshire
  • Posted on: 17/5/2006 11:23
Re: 3 DEAD FISH.......... #3
Hi,took a reading yesterday ,it was between 8-8.5.I got them from a local aquatics place.I just don't know what to do.Forgot to say that we have a combined pump and filter.This is the 2nd time we have started the pond.We had a lovely one 3 years ago,we went on holiday and a friend fed the fish.1 whole tub in 2 weeks.Within a month all fish were dead.We don't know whats wrong now.
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Moderators Caresheets Image Admin Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 17/5/2006 11:29
Re: 3 DEAD FISH.......... #4
Can I ask what you are actually testing for Lisa is that PH at 8-8.5
lilyjoy lilyjoy
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Nottinghamshire
  • Posted on: 17/5/2006 11:31
Re: 3 DEAD FISH.......... #5
Yes,sorry.
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Moderators Caresheets Image Admin Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 17/5/2006 11:37
Re: 3 DEAD FISH.......... #6
Here is some reading for you "see link below" but you need to test for Ammonia and NitrIte too to start with, also Nitrate as then you will know when your pond is mature and the filter can cope with the fish waste etc.

http://www.waterlife.co.uk/waterlife/ponds2.htm#testing

captk captk
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Australia
  • Posted on: 17/5/2006 12:56
Re: 3 DEAD FISH.......... #7
Hi Lisa,

Sorry about your loses.

Let me start off by saying that your pond is only good for goldfish. Koi or grass carp need a lot more than 400L of water. You will have a hard time keeping the water quality in the acceptable range.

You need to test for ammonia and nitrIte on top of pH. Especially now when you are just starting the pond up. Ammonia will build up fast and then the nitrIte will spike. I don't see how those people can say that your water is fine if it is just starting to cycle.
I know enough to know that I don't know enough
lilyjoy lilyjoy
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Nottinghamshire
  • Posted on: 17/5/2006 13:21
Re: 3 DEAD FISH.......... #8
Right,so I have to get 2 more test kits.Or do you think it's better to take a water sample to the place where I got the fish from.He was the 1 who told me to have the grass carp.They are only little,he told me that they would keep blanket weed away.So many people tell me different things,I never know what is right.All I want is a smal ond with a few fish to sit and watch in the evening.It's cost us £s.We act on information given to us,then somboody else will say thats wrong.My poor head is spinning.We origanally got the things from water world.they said no filter,and Tetra products.Then we went to another place who said we needed a filter,and use another product.I' so lost.PLEASE HELP.
captk captk
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Australia
  • Posted on: 17/5/2006 14:26
Re: 3 DEAD FISH.......... #9
Lisa, there is nothing wrong with having a small pond in your garden. It can still be a wonderful thing but a small pond is only suitable for goldies. The problem is that commercial people have different motivations. They are not all rip off merchants but they have sales as their prime motivator. If they can get you to buy something then it is better than scaring you away with the bad news, if you know what I mean.

Sure, a small pond with a couple of small goldies will not need a filter. But then again, if you want your water to be always pristine and your fish happy then a bio-filter is a very good idea. Same with stocking level, you can to for broke and stock 30 fish in there. You might get luck and only lost a few here or there or you can lose the lot if the pH crashes on you.

The bottomline is that forums like this are staffed by volunteers who has nothing to sell and have no vested interest other than to see that other fish keepers get the best support they can get and are given straight forward answers (and bad news sometimes). There will be variations in advice given as different people has slightly different take on things but in general, we pull in the same direction which is healthy ponds/tanks = healthy fish.
captk captk
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Australia
  • Posted on: 17/5/2006 14:30
Re: 3 DEAD FISH.......... #10
Oh, yes, forgot to add. It is always better to do your own tests. You can see the readings right away and do whatever is needed to fix it. You will also learn how your pond works. It is an ecosystem afterall. If you can't get the test kits then getting it tested by a petshop is okay but a lot of the time, they just say it is okay (very broadly speaking) and that's that. Or they might sell you something to 'fix' the problem without really telling you what the problem is.