SWLBLUE SWLBLUE
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 6/9/2004 13:02
Help needed(Novice) please!! #1
I have inherited a pond when buying a house and have spent the summer learning the ropes with the fish I have. Most are various goldfish and I have been able to combat a case of fungus and got the pond into a good state. There are 4 koi. The largest and up til now the greediest has not fed for three days now. There are no outwards signs of any health problems. I am worried that the problem may need expert attention, although I have also been informed it may be that my fish is about to spawn, which would suprise me as I'd always thought it was male. The other two largest koi, follow it constantly, but then they always have done What do I do?
Anonymous  
Re: Help needed(Novice) please!! #2
im sorry im not a pond person, but it does sound strange indeed, cant really help much, just wanted to welcome you to the site and one of our regular resident ponders will no doubt be able to help, good luck, di
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Image Admin Caresheets Moderators Advisers
  • Posted on: 6/9/2004 20:35
Re: Help needed(Novice) please!! #3
Hello SWLBLUE and welcome to fishkeeping Now I wouldn't have thought that it would make any difference to the fish eating even if it was about to spawn, but I may be wrong there, is there anyway you could take the fish in question out of your pond "possibly into a small tank" to have a closer look to see if it is male or female or to see if there is any other reason maybe to why it has stopped eating, males will chase other males in the absence of females but if they are trying to spawn then the chasing can get very rough for the female.
SWLBLUE SWLBLUE
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 6/9/2004 23:52
Re: Help needed(Novice) please!! #4
I can't really isolate him/her as I don't have the facility. On a positive note however it did eat a little this evening. There are about a dozen fry in the pond at the moment although I assume they are goldfish or shubunkins. I did introduce two new koi last monday and at first it seemed to stimulate all the fishes appetites. the fish looks perfectly healthy, he/she is the tamest and boldest as so I have had a very good look and there is no external evidence of illness. I'm going to see what happens if I deny them food tomorrow morning then see how hungry he is tomorrow night. I have to say that keeping fish is the last thing I thought I would get into, but I have to say I am looking to build a big koi pond next spring and get into that side. Not interested in the showing side, just having a collection of attractive fish. I asume the fry are simply goldfish but its still a big boost, I assume the fish are happy if they are breeding, even the frogs in the pond have managed to produce a young un(I assume the one that the fish didn't eat)
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 7/9/2004 13:06
Re: Help needed(Novice) please!! #5
Well your pond sounds active enough if you have fry already then you must be doing something right, see how the fish in question goes on and hopefully it will start to eat ok, but you mentioned introducing two new koi recently did you manage to quarentine them at all first to make sure they were not going to introduce any diseases etc As you are finding out keeping fish is very addictive have fun and good luck
SWLBLUE SWLBLUE
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 7/9/2004 14:35
Re: Help needed(Novice) please!! #6
He/she came up to the surface and let me pour the pellets in this morning so, feeling itself again, not sure what the problem was but really strange it just decided not to eat for four days.

From march when I cleared the pond and started getting into it I have had fry in there. Only one made it, but there are so many now. I'm thinking of getting them in a tank(In laws are going to lend to me) to build them up pre winter.

Are pond heaters expensive/difficult to install? I actually didn't see the fish from when I moved in(December last year) until march, the chap told me not to feed them and he only had a fountain pump and no filter so you can imagine the colour and state of the pond . I am now addicted and can't imagine going three or four months without site of the fish.
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 7/9/2004 15:13
Re: Help needed(Novice) please!! #7
Not sure about the pond heater but they do tend to hibernate in the winter going deeper I believe and only need weatgerm food I think it is, but one of our pondies may be able to help you better there as I am a coldwater tank person, although a pond is on the horizon I would also think it is too late for the fry to make it through the winter in the pond so you would be better rearing them on in a tank if you can, do you have any photos of your fish yet you can show us
SWLBLUE SWLBLUE
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 7/9/2004 17:12
Re: Help needed(Novice) please!! #8
Have some digi ones, but on my home pc, will put the more intersting ones on tomorrow
seanmckinney seanmckinney
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From County Antrim
  • Posted on: 8/9/2004 14:41
Re: Help needed(Novice) please!! #9
Heating a pond can be expensive and you would be better browsing the non forum section of koicymru http://www.koicymru.co.uk/index.htm or the yorkshire koi society http://www.yorkshirekoi.co.uk/ for more informed opinions. Dont get too sucked in though, some of those 'guys' probably spend fortunes on stuff.
If you dont heat, the pond should really be at least 3' deep for koi, 18" for GF in winter, my GF pond is 4' deep.
The water stratifies and when the water's surface temp is below 4C the warmer water will be at the bottom, arrange any running pump, if there are any, to move only the upper water, my GF spent most of the winter below 2'.