PH12345 PH12345
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 5/10 19:23
Ich seems to be immune to Protozin?! #1
I have treated my tank with Waterlife Protozin for approx 5 times now, once every day for 7 days and another 4 times on days 1.2.3 and 6 as instructed on the box.
My fish only has some spots on its fin. The treatment seems to work at first but then on last days of treatment my fish develops a single spot or 2 and keeps flicking and scratcjing again.
Just finished day 6 yesterday and today 3 more spots and fish was bottom sitting for 15-20 mins. It started swimming and acting normal when I put the lights on.
I am worried that if the ich won't kill my fish then I will do that myself by treating the tank so many times.
I have to add that I had flukes not too long ago and I treated for flukes before started with ich treatment.
I feel awful as for the last 2 years the parasites just come and go..I have stopped putting plants in now but I just don't know what to do.
I will do 50% water change today and put carbon in. What do I do? Should I try a different treatment with different active ingredients? Is it possible for the fish to become immune??
The tank is 200 litres Fluval Roma, using external Fluval 406 filter, water changes once a week.
Water parametres normal. 2 goldfish in the tank.
Also, my other goldfish (hasn't got spots but have seen it flicking/scratching) has a cloudy eye for the past 3 weeks. I have treated with Waterlife Myxazin for 5 days a few weeks ago, it didn't heal the eye but couldn't continue treatment as the ich situation got worse and had to do something about that instead.
I have had the same 2 goldfish for 6-7 years now and the issues started approx 2 years ago when I started putting plants in.
Can it be something else? I can see tiny spots in water and super tiny worm like things floating and moving in water column when the light is on, they are thinner than hair, some less than 1mm long, some approx 3-4mm long. They wriggle, so I know they are alive. I can't see them on gravel or glass, just floating/swimming in the water. Ich treatment doesn't seem to do anything to them. Some days I can see them, some days I can't. Can that be what is causing problems to my fish?
Flukes can't be visible to the naked eye? Can they?
Any advice would be much appreciated! How long can I keep treating like this before it will kill my fish? I am just so desperate trying to save them. I even cancelled my upcoming holiday because of this.
Thank you!
PH12345 PH12345
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Posted on: 5/10 22:40
Re: Ich seems to be immune to Protozin?! #2
Just to add to my post..I have done 50-60% water change this evening and decided to remove most of the gravel. I had approx 2.5 inches of gravel because I used to have live plants.
The weirdest thing was that after the second bucket when I siphoned the gravel doing the water change my fish got extremely stressed and started swimming erratically even though they were fine before and then bottom sitting/breathing rapidly, so obviously something got out of the gravel and attacking them....I decided to remove most of it, leaving a very thin layer on the bottom as I know it holds lots of beneficial bacteria.
Can it be that I had too much gravel and that caused some of the ich to survive?
They seem to be ok at the moment, swimming normally.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 6/10 9:30
Re: Ich seems to be immune to Protozin?! #3
I would do a large water change and then run an extended course of Esha Exit and Esha 2000 together. These meds are safe to use at the same time and Exit will deal with the ich while 2000 will deal with the cloudy eye.

What is the nitrate reading in the tank? If nitrate is high it can compromise immunity and cause susceptibility to infection.
PH12345 PH12345
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Posted on: 6/10 14:13
Re: Ich seems to be immune to Protozin?! #4
Hi,
Thank you! That sounds perfect, I will try to get hold of some Esha asap and try that. I am glad I haven't put anything else in yet.

Unfortunately the nitrate levels are quite high in my tap water.
NO3 is 5.
Some plants would help with that but I don't think I will be buying them again.

I appreciate your advice, thank you so much!
PH12345 PH12345
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Posted on: 6/10 14:47
Re: Ich seems to be immune to Protozin?! #5
Hi, one more question..is it safe to use Esha Exit + Esha 2000 + Esha Gdex all of them at the same time? Just to rule out it's not flukes instead of whitespot? Or would that be too hard on the fish as they have already been through a lot?
Thank you!
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 8/10 11:23
Re: Ich seems to be immune to Protozin?! #6
Yes you can run all three together. Though of course there is always a risk with any medication.