(1) 2 3 »
roobaloo roobaloo
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 28/8 10:36
Ich? #1
Hello,
I set up my new tank, fully cycled, added fish… I’m sure this is the most common start to a story

I bought 4 mollies, all are bright, active, and into everything. However 4 days ago I thought I could see a small white spot on one mollies tail. She’s marbled and does not stop wiggling, so I couldn’t always see. I pulled out the eSHa leaflets to remind myself how to use them and remembered being advised to wait 48hrs after a water change due to certain dechlorinators binding medications (also saw previous posts about Prime - which I’m using - and eSHa) It was the day after a water change so started the 24hr clock.
24hrs later, there’s no sign of any spot. As I didn’t get a clear sighting originally, assumed it was my paranoid mind. Decided to give the tank a thorough gravel vacuuming and another water change. All were happy and playful.

24hrs later, 2 fish have a single small spot each. So the 24hr clock was set once again - which brings us to now, almost 48hrs after my last water change…. And no one has any spots.

Can a single white spot only ever be Ich? It seems such a common parasite that it’s impossible to get anything else come up in a Google search.

Everyone is bright, active, behaving normally but I want to proceed with the treatment anyway… Is there any negative to treating? I was thinking of combining Exit and 2000, just to be cautious.

I know I need to remove carbon from my filter, but what about other chemical filtration? I’m still getting to grips with my canister filter (Fluval 207) and I know it has a phosphate remover. Should that come out too? I think the rest are all bio and mechanical.

Is there anything else I need to consider? Last time I was treating was in a BiOrb… not exactly a lot to consider with that filter!

Just in case this is needed:
168l aquarium (About 155l actual as it has a lot of plants, rock, and wood)
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 20ppm
pH 7.8
Temp 26 degrees

As always, thank you in advance!
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 28/8 13:11
Re: Ich? #2
I don't recommend treating when there are no symptoms. Medication has risks of its own so is best only used when absolutely necessary. For future reference, the phosphate pad shouldn't affect meds.
roobaloo roobaloo
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • Posted on: 28/8 13:18
Re: Ich? #3
Thank you so much, Fishlady
So, you wouldn’t be concerned about the occasional spot?
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 28/8 13:35
Re: Ich? #4
Not really - but if they start to get multiple spots I would treat immediately that happens. Thanks for the coffee
roobaloo roobaloo
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • Posted on: 29/8 9:49
Re: Ich? #5
This morning, the 4th Molly, a black lyretail, looks like the fish equivalent of a child baking with Mum and covered in flour. At least it stands out clearly on her.

So hard to get a photo, they never stop and my phone really struggles to focus on her, especially when the brighter ones swim by mid snap!

Attach file:

png  23838_612b49b70186d.png (4,766.81 KB)
23838_612b49b70186d.png 750X1334 px
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 29/8 10:41
Re: Ich? #6
That looks more like velvet disease or possibly excess slime coat. Treat with Esha Exit. What are the gH and kH reading in this tank? Mollies need really hard, alkaline conditions to thrive and and show these kind of symptoms and a susceptibility to disease if the parameters aren't right for them.
roobaloo roobaloo
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • Posted on: 29/8 11:11
Re: Ich? #7
The only method of measuring I have is the Pro JBL 7 in 1 strip tests but never sure how accurate it is. That said I do live in a hard to very hard water area of “over 201ppm” and the test has come back as per the photo!

Lighting is really bad but couldn’t hold it by the window and take the photo but KH looks between the 4th & 5th green (10/178 and 15/268)

pH matches my last Master kit test of around 7.6-7.8

Attach file:

jpeg  23838_612b5bebd5dc9.jpeg (2,997.74 KB)
23838_612b5bebd5dc9.jpeg 4032X3024 px
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 29/8 11:23
Re: Ich? #8
The water could do with being a tad harder for mollies. They do better at a gH above 15 German degrees to 30 degrees (i.e over 268 ppm up to 536 ppm). What else is in the same tank?
roobaloo roobaloo
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • Posted on: 29/8 11:25
Re: Ich? #9
My last BiOrb survivors - a male swordtail and a yellow phantom tetra.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 29/8 11:47
Re: Ich? #10
OK. The swordtail will do well in harder water, and the yellow phantom can be acclimatised to harder water up to 25 German degrees d suggest using JBL Aquadur to increase the hardness to about 20 dGh (about 350 ppm). Do it gradually over a few water changes and then maintain that level long term.