Neil32 Neil32
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 8/8/2021 17:18
Aqua one Horizon 182 stocking #1
Hi everyone. Was wondering if anybody out there has this tank ? If so, what do you think of it ?
I'm looking to get one soon for a tanganyikan set up.
It's a long but quite narrow footprint. Stocking idea is :
1 Altolamprologus Calvus
1 lamorologus leulepi
3 julies, 1 m, 2 f, probably regani
3 multies 1m, 2f.

Wondering if this would be OK in a tank with these dimensions?

Thanks everyone in advance.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 8/8/2021 18:15
Re: Aqua one Horizon 182 stocking #2
There was agood article on setting up for Tangs in Practical Fishkeeping Magazine recently: https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk ... anyikan-cichlid-aquarium/

I'd say you'll be OK with your suggestions though a pair rather than a trio of Julies and a pair rather than a solo Leleupi.
Neil32 Neil32
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Posted on: 8/8/2021 19:01
Re: Aqua one Horizon 182 stocking #3
Thank you for replying Fishlady. Is it unfair to keep a single Calvus ? I won't be getting to see the breeding behaviour, but if I have a pair I'm guessing I'd have to lose either the Leulepi or the Julie's?

Thanks
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 8/8/2021 21:13
Re: Aqua one Horizon 182 stocking #4
It's quite common to keep a solo Calvus - a breeding pair would be too aggressive for a mixed tank. The Calvus will likely eat all the fry produced by the other tank mates though.
Neil32 Neil32
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Posted on: 8/8/2021 21:37
Re: Aqua one Horizon 182 stocking #5
I've only got room for the one tank and my lfs are a bit sniffy about taking fish in, so the lack of fry might be a bit of a blessing in disguise.
Just out of interest, is the eating of one species fry by another species frowned upon in the home aquarium? Obviously it happens in the wild. But fish always have the option of moving to another breeding site to try again but in a tank they haven't got that option.
Is it seen as immoral to knowingly let this happen?
Sorry if it's a bit deep lol..😆
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 9/8/2021 10:40
Re: Aqua one Horizon 182 stocking #6
It's accepted in general that this will happen in community tanks, and can be a necessity with prolific breeders. What is not acceptable and is actually a welfare issue under the law is the use of feeder fish - i.e. deliberately introducing live fish as a food source for predators.