rachelcichlid rachelcichlid
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 11/7 13:12
New to Cichlids - tank conversion #1
I currently have a aquanano 80 (130L) as a tropical set up. I would like to in the future set this up as an African cichlid tank. I have current inhabitants so have plenty of time to do my research.

I currently have Odessa barbs, panda corys, empire gudgeons, black widow tetras, clown loach and a long fin albino plec. Can any of these survive in an African cichlid tank (thinking of the plec who is about 7 years old).

Additionally I understand I will need to boost my filtration, I currently have the standard set up which came with the tank - how do I go about changing the filter system to something suitable for cichlids? I have a unit underneath the tank (isn’t a tank cupboard but can be used for a filter system).
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 11/7 16:57
Re: New to Cichlids - tank conversion #2
None of those will thrive in an African cichlid tank as the water needed for the cichlids will be much too hard for them. Additionally, the tank is too small for African cichlids - they need more space due to their aggression and the absolute minimum recommended is a standard 200 litre (approximately 4 feet long).
rachelcichlid rachelcichlid
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 11/7 20:55
Re: New to Cichlids - tank conversion #3
So I should either be looking for a larger tank or the dwarf cichlid species?
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 11/7 22:20
Re: New to Cichlids - tank conversion #4
200 litres is the minimum for dwarf Mbuna cichlids so you need a bigger tank.