« 1 (2) 3 »
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 30/8 16:42
Re: General advice for planting my tank! #11
Can you post a photo of this algae please as I suspect that as you have had a problem with nitrate it may actually not be algae, but cyanobacteria?
Fishyfishfish Fishyfishfish
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 31/8 12:52
Re: General advice for planting my tank! #12
Hi Fishlady

Photo attached.

Attach file:

jpeg  21565_612e17dd68583.jpeg (4,859.90 KB)
21565_612e17dd68583.jpeg 4032X3024 px
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 1/9 9:53
Re: General advice for planting my tank! #13
That looks like cyanobacteria to me. It's not an algae, but a photosynthesising bacterium and can be very hard to eradicate. The best chance is to suck it all out, do a large water change to get nitrate down and then black out the tank for three days (no peeking, no feeding). Then do another large water change and keep nitrates lower in future.
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • Posted on: 1/9 12:40
Re: General advice for planting my tank! #14
With the greatest of respect how do you suggest I ‘keep nitrate lower’ in the future?

I have tried almost everything I can to get nitrates down since I first cycled the tank and stocked it:

1 - I have returned 5 danios because I knew being overstocked was a contributor.

2 - I am doing twice weekly water changes to try and reduce nitrate levels (four buckets each time).

3 - I introduced live plants as I was told that this is a great way to lower nitrate levels in a tank.

I don’t know what else I can do and I believe the plant light has contributed to the blue green algae/Cyanobacteria becoming an issue as this only started happening a few weeks ago, certainly not before I introduced the live plants.

I’ve only ever run the light at 50% intensity, currently now 40% for a 9 hour cycle with 1 hour each for sunrise and sunset.

Is it ok not to feed the fish for 3 straight days?
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 1/9 14:24
Re: General advice for planting my tank! #15
How high is the nitrate in the tank? How high is it in the tap?
Yes, fish are fine for up to 10 days or so without food and 3 days is no problem at all for them.
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • Posted on: 1/9 15:01
Re: General advice for planting my tank! #16
Nitrate out the tap is around 15ppm and in the tank itself the api liquid test always points to 80ppm, and this is with two water changes per week (whether it is actually 80ppm or not I’m not sure).
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 1/9 17:24
Re: General advice for planting my tank! #17
So the nitrate is coming from something in the tank, not the source water. What fertilisers are you using? How many root tabs have you used and which ones?.
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • Posted on: 1/9 18:00
Re: General advice for planting my tank! #18
The nitrates have always been high though not just since I introduced live plants.

I’ve got 11 harlequin Rasbora and a platy in the tank. The filter is a Oase bio master thermo 250.

I use TNC liquid carbon and dose to the instructions and I also use their root tabs, again to the instructions.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 1/9 19:04
Re: General advice for planting my tank! #19
The TNC root plugs do release nitrate so depending on how many you have in there compare to how much planting that may be part of the problem. Other than that, the other possibility is that you are overfeeding the fish and thus ending up with high nitrate from fish waste/waste food. Feed only as much as they can clear in under 2 minutes and just once a day.
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • Posted on: 2/9 15:09
Re: General advice for planting my tank! #20
I did leave the root plugs in once I'd taken the plants out but, as I've said before, high nitrates was an issue long before I introduced live plants.

I also have an 80 litre tank with a single male Betta and high nitrates are an issue in this tank too. I do two water changes in this tank per week, and there's only bogwood and gravel in there.

With regards to feeding all fish only get a small pinch of food, once per day, and it's all eaten well within two minutes, though the Betta is a slow eater so it does take him a little longer.

What I don't understand is that I thought, maybe foolishly, that because nitrates are so high in the tank, that the plants would thrive and the nitrate levels would plummet and all would be right in the world, but it hasn't turned out that way at all.