(1) 2 3 »
Fishyfishfish Fishyfishfish
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 8/4 20:08
General advice for planting my tank! #1
Hey there everyone!

I need some advice about planting my tank but I'm a complete amateur with this, so bear with me.

Tank is a Fluval Roma 125 with a sand substrate; my first question is should I take the plunge and go for a proper soil substrate? I don't particularly care what plants I have (though I've been eyeing up the mixed boxes on aquaessentials.co.uk).

Being honest I would like to get a soil substrate to give the plants the best chance of success, but I've read that it can cause ammonia spikes, particularly at the beginning. The fish can't be kept anywhere other than a bucket when replacing the substrate so they must go back in once it's done. Tropica soil is what I've been looking at specifically.

Or would the sand suffice for 'most' plants?

I've been looking at liquid fertilizer (TNC complete) would this be a good choice?

I've just purchased a Fluval Light 3.0 so that's the biggest expense taken care of (I needed it as the light I use has broken so I took the opportunity). I'm hoping this is a good choice considering how much it cost me!

I would very much appreciate any advice you can give.

Many thanks!
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 9/4 10:43
Re: General advice for planting my tank! #2
Sand will work if you put root tabs in it for the plants that feed from the roots such as Amazon swords etc. The liquid plant fertilisers are for leaf feeders. It all depends on what you're trying to achieve. For most "easy" plants, root tabs and/or liquid ferts will be enough. Fo the more difficult ones you need a planting substrate, CO2 injection, and the right strength/duration of light, all correctly balanced - but that's beyond my knowledge level as I stick to the easy stuff, mostly plants that can be attached to wood/rocks, etc and just need a liquid fert, if any.
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • Posted on: 9/4 17:15
Re: General advice for planting my tank! #3
Thanks for your reply fishlady.

I will have to put some more thought into it but what would you say are easy plants to keep?

I’d like some planted in the substrate, and if I could get away with keeping the sand I probably will.

Just some general hardy plants for front, centre and back of the tank would be a good start I think.

Thanks
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 10/4 19:44
Re: General advice for planting my tank! #4
Sorry for the delay! You might find these interesting - this web site which sells plants has put together a page of undemanding plants. You can always use it for reference and buy elsewhere if you prefer:

https://www.aquariumgardens.co.uk/beginner-aquarium-plants-55-c.asp
Benjamin Benjamin
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • Posted on: 12/4 22:06
Re: General advice for planting my tank! #5
I was in your shoes not too long ago and I must say that you should care what plants you have as some plants are more difficult than other and some plants that might be sold to you as aquatic plants are not aquatic at all, e.g Fitonia. Therefore I would suggest the following:

Log into Tropica site and choose to view the easy/beginner plants, then, choose what you like and sort them according to position in the aquarium (back, middle, front). Also, there are plants like Amazon Sword that propagate by sending roots all over, I kept all of these out. I bought Tropica Substrate and laid it at the back of the aquarium and covered it with small size and rounded gravel while the front is sand (I have 12 Corydoras). The plants at the back already had their first trim as they have reached 45cm high, they will need another shave in a week or two, I have planted them about 2 months ago.

There is an interesting website that can cause lots of controversy as he kills many "sacred cows" https://aquariumscience.org/ then go to chapter 15 and go to para 5 (i.e 15.5) and draw your conclusions. If I have learnt something is that own research and involvement is essential.
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • Posted on: 21/4 13:13
Re: General advice for planting my tank! #6
Many thanks for your advice, I will take it on board!

At the moment I'm literally doing as you suggested and am just doing my own research, whilst trying to establish exactly what I want to achieve with regards planting the tank, then go from there.
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • Posted on: 18/6 14:46
Re: General advice for planting my tank! #7
So it’s been a couple of months and in the end I went with some Egeria najas, a single Crinum calamistratum and I also took the risk and got a couple cryptocoryne walkeri.

Everything is doing ok except for the crypts, whose leaves have gone from lush green to brown. I’ve read that too much red light can cause this so I’ve reduced the intensity of it. I pulled one crypt out and the roots were thick and white which I assume means healthy so I put it back in.

I use root tabs and some liquid carbon and that’s it. I don’t want to use co2 so is there anything else I should be doing?
Benjamin Benjamin
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • Posted on: 19/6 22:01
Re: General advice for planting my tank! #8
Some plants melt when moved into watery environment as most are grown as hydroponics. Also crypts don't like to be moved. Don't worry, all will be good.
sabdi sabdi
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 26/6 13:50
Re: General advice for planting my tank! #9
First of all, what kind of aquatic plants do you want to start from? If you want to start with carpet plants, I've written a list on my blog post to consider here: https://tankquarium.com/best-carpet-plants/
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • Posted on: 29/8 16:04
Re: General advice for planting my tank! #10
Hey folks just wanted to give an update now I'm a few weeks into planting.

It started off well as all plants seemed to be growing fairly quickly, but the Crypts started to turn brown, then red, and I noticed that new green shoots stopped growing underneath and eventually they disintegrated.

The Egeria was growing really well, particularly when I spread them out. Eventually though they started to turn a light green colour and the leaves appeared to be further apart than they were when I first planted them, then they stopped growing completely.

The only plant still growing is the Crinum, which also seems to have slowed down now.

I turned down the strength of the light as I thought that may be why the Crypts were failing, but that didn't seem to have any effect.

The biggest problem I have now is green algae is carpeting my sand, which looks absolutely awful, and this has only started since I planted the tank, though I have also suffered with high nitrates in the tank.

I am only using a liquid carbon and root tabs so could any of these be causing the green algae?

Thanks