beenaway4abit beenaway4abit
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 26/12 22:00
Getting aquarium on a level surface #1
Hi all,

I've been away from fishkeeping for at least ten years and I'm setting up a tank for my son. I've got a Juwel Primo 70 and it's going on top of a built in cupboard. Stupidly, I forgot to check the surface cupboard is perfectly flat and not all of it is - it's not bad enough to be visible to the naked eye or anything (we're talking a difference of a mm or two lower in the middle of the cupboard compared to the sides) but it's obvious when you put a tank on it the tank is not sitting exactly flat.

I'm wondering if I buy one of the Juwel stands like the one pictured if there's any reason why I can't use the top section of the stand directly on top of the cupboard underneath the tank so it's on a perfectly flat surface?

Any advice much appreciated!

Attach file:

jpg  23570_5fe7b2611c535.jpg (58.92 KB)
23570_5fe7b2611c535.jpg 1266X1500 px
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 27/12 8:17
Re: Getting aquarium on a level surface #2
That would work, or for a llot less money, a piece of thick ply or furniture board would also do the job.
beenaway4abit beenaway4abit
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 27/12 10:16
Re: Getting aquarium on a level surface #3
Great, thank you - I wasn't sure if plywood would be suitable so that's great. Though may consider the more expensive option since son is desperate to get set up!!
Benjamin Benjamin
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Posted on: 28/12 18:51
Re: Getting aquarium on a level surface #4
but make sure to lay something soft like polystyrene between the aquarium and the cabinet as you want it level.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 30/12 11:29
Re: Getting aquarium on a level surface #5
Quote:

Benjamin wrote:
but make sure to lay something soft like polystyrene between the aquarium and the cabinet as you want it level.

This only applies to all-glass aquaria - any with a supporting base/rim should never be placed on polystyrene or similar and always directly on the cabinet/wooden surface.