Haigwright Haigwright
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 21/12 19:10
180l tank, beginner #1
Hi
I'm relatively new to fish keeping. I have a 40l tank with 6 danios in.
Just recently got a 180l tank which I intend to plant up this week and let cycle.
I thought I wanted a betta, guppies, some tetras and a bristlednose plec. However after more research I think I should re think the betta. The danios I'd move to the bigger tank also once it's cycled.
My question is which tetras will he best suited? I initially wanted neons but worry they're too small.
I also read on a different thread that pearl gouramis might be a good fit but I'm worried about over stocking AND worrying that I won't have enough fish in shoals for them to be happy
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 21/12 19:25
Re: 180l tank, beginner #2
Hi

As you have danios already you'll need to build around them, so first increase their shoal to 10-12. You could have neons with them as they will cope with the cooler temperature danios prefer, or as a slightly larger alternative have a look at harlequin rasboras. In a decent shoal, they're a very attractive species (IMO). Pearl gouramis would also be OK in with danios and harlequins, either a pair or trio (1 male, 2 female). A bristlenose pleco will also be fine, or a group of peppered cories might take your fancy as bottom dwellers.
Haigwright Haigwright
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 21/12 19:29
Re: 180l tank, beginner #3
Thanks for that, I did get my eye on the harlequins but tbh I want everything
What about guppies?
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 21/12 21:05
Re: 180l tank, beginner #4
Guppies are hard water where the others you've mentioned like it softer. They're also very badly inbred and don't really last long and tend to be sickly.