Nurglemix Nurglemix
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 20/11 13:26
Christmas moss as carpet plant #1
Hi all,

I'm new here, this is my first post. Also relatively new to fishkeeping, have had my 40L tank for just about a year.

I've read around on the internet but I can't find an answer to this particular question. I've been seeing beautifully landscaped tanks using christmas moss as carpet/ground cover. My question is, why can't I get my christmas moss to stay on the ground and spread? staying on the ground is not so much a problem, it just won't spread. I have proper aquarium soil, the kind that comes in granules, and the granules are about 1.5 mm in size. I know this much about this particular moss, that it can grow practically anywhere as long as it can get anchored. Are the granules maybe too large for it to do that?
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 20/11 13:44
Re: Christmas moss as carpet plant #2
To grow moss as a carpet you need to attach it to a plastic or stainless steel mesh. Depending on species it may require CO2 to grow well. This YouTube video shows how to start a moss carpet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Vu2xnngXPU&ab_channel=Tropictank